Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Winter That Wasn't

I'm early with this title, I know.  Or am I?  As I left for work today, I noticed a small flock of grackles in an oak tree across the street from FBF.  I noted (as I do most times when they return for the season) how large grackles really are compared to most birds hanging around here for the winter.  To me, the sight and sound of them is a true sign of the spring to come.  We have robins year round, so they don't cut it as a sign of spring for me.  I like grackles, I think because so many people don't like them.  I suppose in great numbers they can seem intimidating, or remind the over-imaginative mind of The Birds. Things to fear.  Maybe people see them as mean, as many see blue jays.  Have you ever watched chickadee behavior?  They're cute, but can be rather rude towards others.  How about the ruby-throated hummingbird?  Talk about violent and nasty!

So we had a few days that could really be classified as winter.  And one good snow storm.  In recent years with significant snowfall that lasted for a long time, by Cape standards anyway, we never got the snowshoes out of the basement.  We had one storm this year (so far) and took advantage of it almost instantly.  Thankfully we did not wait as it melted away quickly.

When we get these warm days I start thinking about all the activities I would like to try to fit in to the spring, summer and fall.  A number of them conflict, but I'm hoping to do a few things.  Top of the list is camping, and we already have one trip booked.  This will be a first as we are planning to bring the dogs!  I'd like to get the kayak wet at some point.  It would be great to combine that with a beach trip.  There is a nice little island in a fairly protected part of Buzzard's Bay that we have been to before.  Running, of course.  Have to do that.

Tuesday 3/13 Update:

I'm not certain when I started this entry, but it was before the weekend.  What a busy one it was! Saturday was Harry's 4th Basic Obedience class and I think we squeezed in a walk there, too.  Sunday was running with the group bright and early and springing an hour forward put me there with 3 1/2 hours of sleep.  It was a great class though.  Chilly to start, but ended with perfect weather and a great workout for all.

At 11:00 Mrs and I met a couple other guys from The 300 Committee and installed the new sign for the former kennel/now conservation property.  This was probably the highlight of the weekend.

I'll have more on this property in later posts.  There are a number of things on the list left to do to get this property properly "undeveloped".

Mrs and I took the dogs for  long walk at Crane Wildlife Refuge.  A beautiful spring-like day!

Our schedule opened up nicely on Monday after a few things we were supposed to do were cancelled, so we loaded the dogs into the Rav4 and headed to Millbury, MA to meet with Harry's breeder and see the latest batch of 11 pointer pups!  Oh how I love pointer puppies.  They are about 6 or 7 weeks old and cute as can be.  If things were a little bit different for us financially and otherwise, we would probably end up with one of these little sweeties, but we're concentrating heavily on keeping Harry on the right track with his training.  So far, he has been an exceptional puppy.  At 8 months old I have yet to find much if anything to complain about, other than not being able to spend even more time out and about with him.  An added bonus to getting off Cape and inland was the 75 degree weather!  Easily 15 degrees warmer away from the water.

And now for the cuteness.

 IF we were to choose a puppy from this litter, this little orange boy would be the one.  Although, there is a little black and white that would be a strong
 contender as well.





On the way home, we stopped along the Cape Cod Canal under the Bourne Bridge so that I could try to capture a sunset shot.  It is the header photo for the blog at this time, but in case I change it down the line I'll add a copy of it here as well.

A terrific way to end an eventful weekend.

4 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

You are so right Barry. If animals looked like their personalities, hummers would be some kind of ugly. Being cute makes me buy a ton of sugar each year.
What adorable puppies.
As for Grackles, I used to get them by the several hundred in Florida. The squeeking hinge sound they made in such large groups was deafening. I used to bang on garbage can lids to scare them off. They loved the automatic feeders I had set up for the dogs and could really suck up the food. Sorry, I am not a fan.

Darlene said...

What a gorgeous sunset. It rivals our Arizona sunsets and is really spectacular. That's a great capture.

Darlene said...

In trying to get captcha to work I lost my post. Arrrgh. I want to complain to blogspot, but don't know where to vent.

My comment was that your header photo is gorgeous and that spectacular sunset rivals Arizona's.

Barry said...

Hi Darlene. Not sure what issue you are referring to, but the comments came through. I have the moderate setting turned on, so it won't be an instant post, if that's what you mean. Thanks, by the way.