Saturday, October 25, 2008

2nd Annual Mashpee Firefighters Raw Bar Road Race 5k

Well, it's done.

Link to the outcome of the race.

I am thrilled to have participated in the 2nd Annual Mashpee Firefighters Raw Bar Road Race 5k to benefit Make A Wish and even more happy that it was my first official race. What better way to experience it then on a fantastic autumn day with friends, co-workers and, of course, Mrs G. She took some great photos of the event. I have to admit, there was a brief moment on the ride to Popponesset in which I felt like going home. I don't do this type of thing, as a rule. But I do now.

My time: 24 minutes (That's the official time. My watch was 23:56 so I am happy with either.)
I placed 60th out of 266. There was a great turn out. Last year, the first run, was around 117.

We arrived at around 10:40 this morning. I had already picked up my number and registered at New Balance in Mashpee Commons on Friday so I had nothing to do but take it all in. The MPD crew gathered together to chit chat and hang around until it was time to make our way down Shore Dr. West to the start line. We had 6 (of 8!) dispatchers, three officers, and one administrative assistant participate.

Here are some of us gathered prior to the race.

We made our way to the start among some really nice fall foliage still hanging on the trees. The weather was absolutely perfect. Near the start we met more folks that we knew and waited for the start.
Here I am with a majority of the best dispatching crew you could want. (Photo courtesy of Robin)


This is the view of the start from the very back. We were gathered between the starting line and Mashpee Fire & Rescue Engine 351. The air horn from the engine was sounded to start the race. (Photo by Robin)

I had become separated from the MPD crew and was fairly close to the front of the pack. The air horn sort of caught me off guard so before I knew it, the run was on. Was I ready for this? Too late.

Our lead vehicles. These guys made way for the runners along the route.



Coming through the first turn near the Popponesset Marketplace.

Mashpee Fire & Rescue Engine 351

Crossing the finish 24 minutes later. Nice face.....

After the race, there was the presentation of trophies in various categories and then the calling of the numerous raffle prizes. I actually won a facial at a local salon which was immediately handed to Mrs G, though I have not ruled it out for myself yet..... ;) Special Thanks to Captain Joe Fellows, Firefighter/Paramedic Nicole Stanley and the other organizers from Mashpee Permanent Firefighters Association.

More photos at my flickr site.

6 comments:

Brian said...

Great job Barry! It looks like you had a nice day for the event. Glad you didn't have the rain that swept through the mid-Atlantic region. Enjoy the post-race runner's high - you should feel like you're on top of the world!

Live/Love/Life said...

It was actually fun. Thanks.
Thanks Mrs G for the memory photos.

Fooseberry said...

Absolutley the best weather I have ever had on a race day. I am also glad everyone that did it has said they will be doing it next year-also promising to take the day off to party at bit more.
Thanks for the great pics Mrs G.

Anonymous said...

Good Job Barry!

FFNick said...

Nice job, pal! Looks like it was a great day. Our weather wasn't nearly as nice. Got soaked at a West Point Army Football game - but atleast they won!

Maybe I'll join ya next year!

Barry said...

Would love to see you here Nick! Always room for more firefighters at this event!