My first 5k is under my belt for 2009. This was my fourth race and it was most enjoyable. There seemed to be a good turnout. I don't know how many, but 250 is my guess. I felt like junk for the first mile or so, but my pace was about normal. I was on my own for this race. Mrs. stayed home to study and none of my colleagues attended either. Still, there were plenty of folks to chit-chat with. I handed over my two bags of groceries for the food pantry to the Boy Scouts, then went to get my t-shirt and number.
The weather was perfect and the course went from West Dennis Beach, through beautiful Cape Cod neighborhoods and back to West Dennis Beach. I was actually hot and there was no shade to be had along the route. During the run I was thinking "Oh, Falmouth Road Race is going to be tough." I think I may have mixed a few expletives amongst that statement in my mind.
One of the more funny moments I had was at about the half way point, the Boy Scouts were manning a water station. I have not taken water from one of these stations before. In fact, I have not even attempted to drink anything while running. For some reason I thought it would be nice just to have a bit of water to wet my whistle, so to speak. As I approached this uniformed savior, I moved my car keys over into my right hand (remember, my camera is in my right hand as well) and grabbed the little Dixie cup full of water in my left. I lost about one third of it instantly. I tried to take a gulp. Most of that ended up on my shirt, and some made it up my nose.
Despite the near-drowning, I made the finish line in 43rd place at 24:21 finishing in a strong (Forrest Gump) sprint. My goal was to finish under 25 minutes.
I would most certainly do this run again.
More images.
Official results.
7 comments:
I love running too! I have chickens as well! I love your blog! I live in Washington state! My blog is all about muy chickens! Awesome blog! My last 45k time was 26:02. Although 5k's do have varying lengths, like some times it is 3 miles with 2 tenths of a mile.
I did a state report on Massachusetts! It is an amazing state! I love your blog!
-Hannah
You can come and check out mine too if you want! I absolutely love getting new followers too!
Great run Barry! And that certainly is a nice looking boxer. I can't run and drink (out of a cup) either. One of the tricks is to smash the top together to make a little drinking spout, but I still end up spilling water/GatorAde all over me.
YAy! I was gonna send you a have fun text but had a crazy morning. Nice time and keep up the good work.
elvoy - Fooseberry and I love having your wealth of knowledge. Make a little spout.... So simple yet brilliant!
Hannah - Welcome. Your blog is great and your chickens are too.
No "Sippy Cups", eh?
Sounds like you had a good run, and came well under your target. You'll be pushing yourself all summer, I bet.
FFNick - I'll be pushing myself to get used to the heat. Sippy cups... hmmmm...
Post a Comment