
Saturday was the Mashpee Oktoberfest celebration which was kicked off with a 10k road race from the access road of South Cape Beach to the green near Mashpee Commons across from the new library.

I had registered ahead of time through the mail and picked up my number and t-shirt on Friday before work at
New Balance Mashpee. Runners were to be at the Senior Center parking lot no later than 8 am. I arrived at about 7:50. There was no bus and the coordinator was on the phone clearly trying to get one there. Apparently she had not confirmed with the bus company, but was able to get one there in time, though the race start was delayed.

Mashpee Senior Center.

A view of Dead Neck near South Cape Beach, not far from the start.

Mashpee PD staging before the run.

Falmouth Track Club handled the timing of the race. Here Courtney Bird is giving some last minute words of encouragement and instructions just before the start.

The field of runners at the start. We were delayed by about 15 or 20 minutes as the bus had to return with a second group of runners and 8 or 10 people were still waiting for the porta-potty which was placed almost directly at the start line. No pressure there!
The weather was nearly perfect though slightly humid, but certainly nothing to complain about. Mostly overcast and probably in the upper 50s or lower 60s. I got a good start right at the starting line after Mr. Bird fired the starter pistol and we were off. A really nice route through one of the more affluent neighborhoods in the town, and then onto a seemingly long stretch of Great Neck Road South.

Finally at the finish 51 minutes and 2 seconds after the start. There was a nasty hill just prior to the finish at mile 6 but I was able to end with a sprint as most people seemed to be doing.
After the race we went home so I could hit the showers, then returned to enjoy Oktoberfest.


Mashpee Fire & Rescue Department's Ambulance 362. The FD was there with some sort of safety house trailer for the kids to walk through and then slide out of the top floor back to the ground..


Director Ken Ballinger of the Barnstable Sheriff's Office giving a talk on the K9 unit. On the stage is Lt Barney Murphy with one of their new puppies.

More Oktoberfest vendors.

Mrs and I took the short walk into Mashpee Commons to poke around and went for a coffee.

There was more Oktoberfest fun down here as well with a pumpkin carving demonstration and pumpkin painting for the kids. A great day.
1 comment:
I don't think I ever feel better, physically, than days I run a hard 5/10K, followed by a nice cup of coffee. Sounds like a great day. Nice recap of the events.
Post a Comment