Monday, August 16, 2010

Falmouth Road Race, 2010

Sunday was the 38th running of the Falmouth Road Race. I was not certain that I was 100% prepared for it, but deep down I knew I could make it happen. I got a good night's sleep and woke up feeling ready, but with the usual nerves. We left a tad late and ended up in heavy traffic on Gifford Street on the way to Lawrence School where the buses were waiting to take runners to Woods Hole. The last bus was to depart at 8:45. I arrived just before that deadline, but easily made it. I had brought along with me a toasted plain bagel and a bottle of water, so I chewed on the bagel and drank on the way to Woods Hole.

In Woods Hole, the bus leaves you at Millfield Street and then there is a short walk around Eel Pond to the corral areas behind the starting line. Above is a photo of Eel Pond looking towards some of the Woods Hole science buildings. If you click on the photo it will zoom in and you should be able to see a line of porta-potties and a group of runners. This is a just fraction of the porta-potties and runners.
Some of the runners in Woods Hole. I saw no one I knew, so I just walked around people watching, finished one half of the bagel and tossed the rest. At around 9:30 I stopped drinking water and stuffed the bottle into an overflowing recycle bin. I was ready to go, but was starting to get hot from the sun beating down. Then, fairly suddenly, clouds rolled in and obscured the sun and that would last through the entire run.

Runners in lines for the porta-potties on both sides of the road.

The running groups are staggered at the start to cut down a little bit on the congestion through the narrow streets. Wheel chairs go first, then elite runners then really fast non-elites and then the several groups of not-as-fast runners. I had moved up one or two groups from last year but really this changed nothing for me as far as the congestion of runners. From where I was initially standing I could just see the starting line banner. As each group starts off, race officials allow the next group to move up to the start line. It's pretty cool to hear the starting gun go off and then watch hundreds, if not thousands of heads start to bob up and down in a wave as the group moves forward and people start running, jogging really, as they cross the starting line. The timing is done by a small device attached to the bib, but I still used my stop watch which, in the end, was exactly the same as my finish time.

Once again, the first two miles took a terribly long time of over 20 minutes, but the crowd just does not allow for a normal pace. That's fine. I knew I had 5 more miles to make up some time.



Mrs was able to park right in Falmouth Heights not far from the finish line, so she took a walk around for some photos. Above is the finish line near the white boom truck.

Race officials, Mashpee and Falmouth police near the finish in Falmouth Heights.

Post-run sweetness.

One of many stretchers along the route ready, but hopefully not required.

Mrs went back to the 10k line to watch the runners and wait for me. There is not much chance of getting to see anyone cross the finish so we agreed that this would be a good spot. There would also be shade for her.

Above is the press truck coming along just before the front runners.

Gebre Gebremariam of Ethiopia and Wilson Kwambai Chebet of Kenya. They took first and second place respectively. Gebremariam's time was 32 minutes 20 seconds.....


Team Hoyt! Mr Hoyt is 70 years old and has been running with his son for many years in numerous, probably countless, events. For more information on Team Hoyt and their amazing story here is a link: Team Hoyt.


I hate to admit this, but I am able to send text messages while running. They are brief, but I still can do it without falling on my face. The plan was for me to send a text to Mrs when I passed the Island Queen ferry just up the road from the 10k line. As I sent the message I heard a guy in the crown... "Texting while running! Woo-hoooo!" I chuckled and hoped he did not have a camera. On the approach to the 10k line I tried to get clear so I could see Mrs. It took a few seconds, but we found each other and she grabbed a shot of me crossing the 10k line. After I finished I made my way back through The Heights to find Mrs and watch more runners coming through.


We walked back to the ball field that was the staging area for the post-race food, awards and other activities. I grabbed a Gator-ade, yummy frozen fruit bar and some chips for Mrs.

Part of the crowd on the ball field, Falmouth Heights.

More of the crowd at The Heights.

I finished well and felt fantastic. Next!

2 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Way to go Barry and what a great account of the race. Loved the pic of you and the misses but what a lovely route you all got to run.
Congrats.
The croud at the port-a-pots would have done me in.

Brian said...

Awesome! Nice write-up. I love how you can text and run. Also, Team Hoyt is amazing.