Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Mighty Has Fallen

It's been years ---- YEARS ---- since I have been sick.  The kind of sick that really kicks your butt.  Not barfy sick (yet!).  This started yesterday as an odd feeling in my throat, about where that dent is just above the chest and just below the trachea.  It got really bad around 9:30 or 10 last night and I knew I was all done by the time I got home.  I fired off an e-mail to my coach at 4 am telling her I would not be there for at least the next two workouts then tried to sleep on the sofa.  By this morning the voice was almost gone or down to a faint croak.  Ick.  Mrs was surprised to see me balled up on the couch having thought I went to running.  I was able to sleep on and off though the day and monitored my heart rate and temperature, both of which are elevated.  My normal resting heart rate is 50 to 60 and that's at work, so it does go lower here at home.

The body is fascinating in how it functions and in some cases how it attacks itself.  I have been drinking herbal teas and apple cider vinegar diluted in water.  Hopefully that will help along with some of the chemicals I took.  Last check I was at 101.6 which is as high as I can recall it in many years.  I am feeling better, but don't trust enough time has gone by to believe it's going to pass soon.  Tonight and tomorrow will tell.  I am off today and tomorrow so my hope is to be well enough to head back to work on Tuesday.  I speak for a living, though so it depends on how the old voice box is doing.  I hate to ruin 10 years of no sick time use, but that's what it's there for I guess.

The major downside to this hitting today....  Probably the most beautiful weather of the season so far.  That hurt a lot.  Oh well.

1 comment:

Arkansas Patti said...

AWW, I am so sorry you are sick. Use as many days as you need and just get better soon Barry. Try not to share with the Mrs.