Mrs. and I decided to take a walk on Dead Neck at South Cape Beach in Mashpee this afternoon. There had been reports of a snowy owl there in the last week or so. It was a beautiful day, but there was a stiff, cold wind out of the west. I had forgotten a hat, but surprisingly I stayed fairly warm. We walked from the parking lot almost all the way to the jetty. We stopped several times to scan the area for any sign of the owl, but never did find it. I've been trying for some time to find one of these for Mrs. to see.
View Larger MapWe did manage to see some other bird species along the way, though nothing unexpected.
- Northern Harrier
- Horned Grebe
- Brant
- American Black Duck
- Common Eider
- Common Goldeneye
- Herring Gull
- Ring-billed Gull
- Greater Black-backed Gull
- Northern Flicker
- American Crow
- Horned Lark
- American Robin
- European Starling
- Yellow-rumped Warbler
- Song Sparrow
- Dark-eyed Junco
Some other images from the area:

Marsh behind the barrier dunes.

Looking over the dunes towards South Cape Beach.

Trail on Dead Neck.

Scoping the area near the jetty.
1 comment:
A birding date-I like it! It sounds like it was fun.
J
Post a Comment