Monday, January 5, 2009

A Few More Birds

Mrs and I took a quick trip out today to look for a few birds. It was a nice day. Mostly sunny, around 42°F with a slight breeze. We started at a conservation area adjacent to some cranberry bogs in Hatchville. I like to check this particular area because there is usually some open water where waterfowl might congregate. We didn't see much there, unfortunately, but it was a nice walk.

Mrs found this great little nest full of snow. I enjoy finding nests in winter. Some are in amazingly obvious places that were likely never seen in the summer.


I wanted to check a couple places along Perch Pond in Teaticket as I had heard reports of sometimes hard-to-find ducks in an area of open water. We found one of the species I was hoping for, Eurasian Wigeon, but two others I wanted were not there or were just out of sight behind a spit of land. Mrs got these shots of a Great Blue Heron that was working the shore for food. It took flight as I was checking the ducks with the scope.



A few birds of note today:
  • American Robin
  • Carolina Wren
  • American Wigeon
  • Eurasian Wigeon
  • Hooded Merganser
  • Lesser Scaup
  • Great Blue Heron
  • Red-bellied Woodpecker
Today's outing brought my year count to 42 species. Hoping to increase that number very soon.
I am planning to keep up with my Cape Cod year list in 2009. I did okay with last year's until May. Hopefully I'll be able to keep some time set aside for it.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Great photos!

Barry said...

Thanks!

My wife gets all the credit for those.

FFNick said...

They are great "in flight" shots.

Leslie said...

great shots, Barry. It looks CoooooooLD up there.