Saturday, August 9, 2008

Can't Get More Local Than This....

I've been saying for a few days now that the summer squash and zucchini are about done. I was wrong. The tomatoes have been really great and we will likely have enough to can and or freeze some sauce as well as can some quartered and/or diced. We're really green at the canning thing, so with some advice from our own experts we should be great! I wish I had paid more attention to my Mom when she was hovering over the stove for what seemed like days on end. I'm sure she read recipes and directions on how to can properly, but it seemed like she just did it at the time. Magic. Anyway, this photo was taken this morning.


Mrs. G has been making bread & butter pickles with the armloads of cukes we've been getting. This is the second batch so far...... these are for refrigerator storage only. We found out that the canning pot cannot be used on the glass top stove we have so if we are able to do some canning it will have to be done outdoors on our camp stove.


Something, probably a chipmunk, has been nibbling my cantaloupe and honey dew melons. Only two or three of them have made it to a reasonable size, but I figure they're just waiting until they're perfectly ripe to chomp into them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry, I got such a kick out of your mom "just doing canning, like magic". I bet thats what our kids all think!! You and Terri do great, I think your mom would love to see all that you do! Barb

Live/Love/Life said...

Barry,
You need to hang with my Dad! -
He does the canning and pickling.
I wish I had the time.

Fooseberry said...

And the cost of the tomatoes per pound??
You know I have some recipes and I think you should make your own salsa.