Monday, August 11, 2008

Sunday/Monday

Sunday was another beautiful day. The kennel was nearly packed and one of the helpers called out sick. I think this actually may have been an advantage as the two of us that did work flew through the morning chores like a well-oiled machine. That and the fact that there was only one phone call to interrupt the progress. A fun day at work with some great dogs and relatively few interactions with people.

After work, I got cleaned up and we relaxed for the evening. Mrs. prepared a great turkey loin, grilled squash/zucchini and my contribution was mashing the potatoes and building a roaring fire in the outdoor fireplace.

The weather of late has been nearly perfect, but we've been getting enough rain, so no watering needed. Today was no exception. On and off showers and some vigorous thunderstorms. We headed off-Cape to do some shopping in Wareham. While we were in the stores there were thunderstorms with heavy rain. We had lunch and a drink at Longhorn Steakhouse which was really great. Excellent food. It was so dark in the restaurant that when we left there the sun was literally blinding us so badly and we had a really had a tough time seeing anything. It was worth a good laugh over it in the parking lot.

On the way home, we stopped at The Chart Room in Cataumet for a drink. They have a nice outdoor area set up with Adirondack chairs right on the harbor. The sun was out which enhanced the wonderful Cape Cod scenery.

Once home I decided I had to do something with several zucchini and yellow squash that were in danger of not getting consumed, so I got the dehydrator out, set up my new, handy veggie slicer that I picked up at Target today and went to work cutting them into 1/4 inch slices. In no time I had them cut and ready for the dehydrator. I have wanted to try dehydrating tomatoes, so I went for it using the cherry and giant cherry tomatoes we had picked. Here they are prior to the start of the dehydrating process.

The dried squashes can be eaten as chips dipped in hummus or can be tossed into a soup.

No comments: