The fireflies are out and about.
I've had a mock orange (Philadelphus virginalis) here for many years and this is by far one of the best years for it.
We have been enjoying the ruby-throated hummingbirds this weekend. They're all over the perennial bed and feeder. I'm hoping to be able to get some photos soon, but it will require me sitting still in the garden for a period of time. I'm not so sure I have that in me. ;)
I planted several "stepable" perennials along the main walkway today including Sedum, Veronica, Gypsophila, Houstonia, Euonymous and Sempervivium. I'm trying to come up with a cool way to catalog the plants we have that is easy to use and easy to study so I can remember all the scientific names in addition to the commons ones.
I'm a little bit happier about the veggie gardens today. Things seem to have taken off. I do need to figure out a way to keep the tomatoes up. I did not trellis them or put them in cages and they're a little too large now for cages. They do need some support, but it's a question of economics at this point. I may harvest some saplings in the back lot to use for stakes. That will wait a day or two though. In the meantime, I really need to eat some lettuce! I found a few Clavate Tortoise Beetles on the potato plants today. I don't know yet if they'll cause a problem and am planning to watch them closely. They're rather cool looking so I hope they won't be a problem.
Tree Swallows and Chickadees Fledged
We discovered the black-capped chickadee nest empty today. They were definitely ready to go. While checking on them yesterday one of the young took flight as best he could and landed on the ground nearby. I recovered him and placed him back in the nest box only to have him fly out once more and land on the deck. I was sure he was too young to be out so I placed him back one more time. I watched from a short distance and one of the parents returned with a face full of food. This seemed to keep him busy for a little while, but soon he was out again flying towards me and landed on the roof of the Matrix. One more recovery, replacement and it stayed put this time. Until this morning when the four of them left, without much fanfare.
While mowing today I came face to face with one of the tree swallow young sitting on the top rail of our paddock fence. Talk about cute. The parents were not amused and buzzed my head quite closely. I nabbed this shot of the baby this afternoon. As I cut the grass, the parents swooped around the yard capturing moths and other critters I was kicking up.
2 comments:
Perennial garden looks great. Nice use of a good space.
Have you had any luck transplanting native species? Like from one area of the yard to another?
Hmmm.. I don't think it's come up yet.
Post a Comment