Monday, June 16, 2008

Florida Florida Florida

I'm not one to get hung up on celebrities. I do think it's sickening what the paparazzi gets away with but the folks that feed on it really are to blame and stopping it is as simple as not buying the magazines or watching the TV shows that exploit. I do have a couple choice folks that I look at as a little bit more extraordinary. Mellencamp for his music, lyrics and his F_ you attitude, Olbermann for his incredible insight and ability to more eloquently express what I am feeling about most issues. And then there is Tim Russert.

I logged on to iGoogle the other day and glanced down at the MSNBC headlines and saw the bad news. I immediately headed for the TV to see what had happened; mouth agape, heart instantly heavy.

I appreciate a good journalist or news person and the job some of them do. There are few real stand outs. I often think journalism would have been a great career. In a cynical time Russert's reports and interviews were a refreshing look at what was going on without unnecessary, blatant negativity or character assassination or misleading information (ala Fox Noise Channel). He also had a remarkable knowledge of history (something the O'Reilly's and Hannitys of the World don't really have) and reminded that history IS actually important (especially in our Liberal Democracy) not just what happened 10 minutes ago, or 10 days ago or 10 years ago. All of our history. This man was not about hurting anyone. He was a genuine American, asking the tough questions for Americans.

I'll miss his insight, his teaching without talking down, the twinkle in his eye, his passion for this country, his work and his family.

No comments: