Mrs. G was able to capture some good images of this dragonfly. I have no idea what kind this is (yet). I captured one earlier in the day and it seemed all too easy. On closer inspection I found it's thorax was covered with red parasitic mites. I expect this is what slowed it down.
I spent most of the day digging a two foot wide trench around the chicken pen and then laying in wire fencing to keep critters from diggin under the fence. It was less work than I expected.
5 comments:
Barry your Dragon fly kind of looks like an Eastern Pondhawk DragonFly, I'm not sure though.
I can't really see the wings.
Also called the Green Clearwing, young males and females of this species are a particularly vibrant green. As they age, males undergo a color change, eventually becoming powder blue. Both sexes have clear wings and their eyes widely joined on the top of their heads.
Ps. Loving the Cicadas also.
: )
Look like you're on the money with that one. Thanks!
Son's friend (who is headed for the marines and an ultra-distance runner) cooked up some cicada's for his pals the other day. Not great not terrible. Probably the most unreliable source of protein you could imagine though.
Tom
Great story, Tom. I think they're too cute to eat though. ;)
Post a Comment