Sunday, June 29, 2008

Chicken Update

The peeps are growing fast and are in the cute/ugly stage. Even sick chick from earlier post has survived and appears to be gaining ground, but she is still much smaller than most of them.

Here is a Plymouth Barred Rock.


Here are the araucanas. The larger one (we're hoping it's NOT a rooster) was hatched the same day as the little one, which is also the "sick chick" so you can get a feel for her set back.

3 comments:

FFNick said...

Where are you keeping these guys? Maybe I missed a previous post, but I do not recall. Do you need to separate the breeds as they get bigger?

Barry said...

They started out in Logan's old dog crate in the office. They're in a nursery in the basement now and soon will be out in their proper coop once they're feathered out enough and I finish the damn thing. They are all together and will be. The smaller ones seem to do fine. It really is funny how different they are. The smallest one is about 52 grams and the biggest has to be 200 by now. Too big for our little scale to check.

Por2gee said...

eww the puberty stage for chicks ..... I love barred rocks, infact I have a cookie jar I painted that has one on it I should blog about it