Monday, September 5, 2016

Hermine Remnants

The remnants of once-hurricane Hermine are still churning off the New England coast this Labor Day. Mrs and I took a road trip to the other side of the Cape to Town Neck in Sandwich and Sandy Neck in Barnstable. We arrived, unfortunately at a dead low tide which made for not as exciting conditions as I had hoped. Still, it was nice too get out to see the bay all worked up, literally to a froth.

The lower parking area at Sandy Neck was being sand blasted, which you might be able to see in the below image. The hazy/cloud above the lot is sand coming up from the beach. I ended up with sand in just about every place imaginable, and I was dressed for winter.

 Once down on the beach itself the sand whirling around wasn't as bad, but the sea spray was a bit dampening.




We headed back towards home, but had to take a few detours down some back roads to get around the piles of traffic trying to get to the bridges to get off Cape; guests cutting their trips a bit short. We were surprised at a few locations where we didn't expect traffic. I guess some of our beloved backroads are not so unknown anymore.

I snapped this image at Rt 151 and Old Barnstable Road in Mashpee.  Miles and miles away from the bridges.

As I type this, the rain bands have finally arrived and winds continue to gust, causing the trees some stress, but so far, so good.

1 comment:

Arkansas Patti said...

I was wondering how you were faring. Sure hope it is a no damage storm for you. I have done that beach thing in Fl pre-hurricane and it is like being sand blasted. Stay safe and keep your power.