Monday, April 4, 2016

Peterson Farm, Falmouth MA

This past Thursday, I joined a staff member of The 300 Committee and another volunteer to help clear brush and briars back from the access road and parking area at Peterson Farm. This work was ahead of an Earth Day event on Aprill 22nd.

The 88 acre Peterson Farm is a wonderful place to visit any time of year, but in spring there are lots of cute lambs to see. Although this is a town-owned conservation property, a local sheep farmer was allowed to stay and the sheep are used as a management tool to keep the fields open and free from invasive plant species.

The property was purchased by the town in 1998 after a vigorous fund raising campaign to help secure the $3 million dollars needed for the buy saving it from development. There is a great info in the link above as well as a trip map. The farm also abuts and the trails connect to the several hundred acres of conservation land of Beebe Woods. I'll save Beebe Woods for a later date as I'm not sure how to tackle it. I'm sure to get lost in there as I honestly have not spent too much time there, mainly because so many dogs run rampant and owners are not good about removing poop from the trails.

I did not hike much at Peterson because I was there to work, but I did stay once we were finished to capture some images.



Access to Peterson Farm off of McCallum Dr. which is off of Woods Hole Road.

 Parking near the sheep pastures.


Outbuildings where the sheep, guard llama and chickens stay.

 Main pasture area.
 One of the trails below the main pasture.

An example of the woodland trails nearby. 

Trailing arbutus, our state flower almost in bloom. Though as I type this on 4/4/16, it is snowing and there are about 2 inches of new snow on the ground.

And now, the cuteness.



Scamp the guard llama.

Peterson Farm is a must-visit especially if you have time to explore the many trails in the area. Maps are available online at the link I posted above, and also for many other conservation properties in town.

1 comment:

Arkansas Patti said...

How neat of you to volunteer. Too many of us want to enjoy but not put forth the effort to maintain. Love that the area was preserved and those lambs are adorable. I had heard Llamas were good guarders. I had a friend who had a few but their male got really aggressive. Guess they need a herd.