Friday, February 5, 2016

Salt Pond

The other night when I got home from work, I decided to give something new a try. I thought it might be good for me to try to spend time in a different conservation area in Falmouth each week for as long as I could keep it up. Further, I thought it would be a good idea to take some pictures and share the area on the blog. After work last night I took a look at The 300 Committee Land Trust's website list of town lands and decided to start simple with Salt Pond. This 35 acre parcel is tucked between the Shining Sea Bikeway, Salt Pond and Elm Road. I park (usually) at a tiny parking area on Elm Road near the bike path. Parking is available at other locations which can be found on the map via the above link.

The entrance to Salt Pond's trails at Elm Road. I started at noon in a bit of a fine mist/drizzle, 50°F and barely a breeze. After a night of moderate to heavy rain the trails were saturated and some puddles were present. Not too bad though.



The trails are wonderfully well maintained and are flat. This area is popular with birders and is one of my favorite places in the spring. Today I counted 23 species in my 47 minute walk.

Kiosk along the main trail. The side trail I am on leads directly to the bike path.

 Salt Pond looking towards Mill Road and Surf Drive.

 Cedar trees heavy with berries.

 Floating osprey nest platform on shore for the winter.

Male hooded mergansers in the pond. Salt Pond is one of many coastal ponds in town known to be a good for wintering ducks. Sometimes there are large 'rafts' of lesser and greater scaup that often contain the odd, er, duck. It's always smart to look carefully through the masses for other birds.

Bird list for Salt Pond:

Black-capped chickadee
House finch
White-throated sparrow
Northern cardinal
Yellow-rumped warbler
Cedar waxwing
American robin
Song sparrow
Mallard
Hooded merganser
Bufflehead
Carolina wren
Mute swan
Black duck
Greater black-backed gull
Common goldeneye
Herring gull
Ring-billed gull
Lesser scaup
Blue jay
European starling
Gray catbird
American crow

Even though this was a short walk, I certainly enjoyed being out. I also stopped along Surf Drive to play with the camera a bit.

There were a lot of shells washed up including many scallops. These two came home with me.

Jetty and Nobska Point in the far off from Surf Drive.

4 comments:

Fooseberry said...

I love this idea. Being so new to this I am always amazed at the great spaces tucked into our busy town. I hope you don't mind if I follow in some of your foot steps and check out these places too. I just printed the map from the last Cape Cast video in Bourne. Hoping to check that out soon.

Barry said...

Next week I'm hoping to go somewhere new to me and take more time to explore.

Arkansas Patti said...

Something new is always fun--especially if it is close by. What a great place to explore. Did you take the dogs? Interested to see what you find next time.

Barry said...

Hi, Patti - the dogs stayed home for this one.
We're snowed in again, though not as bad, so hopefully I'll be able to get out next week.