This is a question I have been struggling with for some time now, and it's probably far from what you're thinking based on the post title.
I have been researching whether or not I should invest in hammock gear for backpacking rather than a new ultralight tent-for-one. The more I dig, the more it makes sense to go with a hammock. The hammock users I follow on YouTube use hammocks by Warbonnet and Dutchware. The Warbonnet hammocks have more bug netting coverage, but are also a little bit heavier. Another consideration is the tarp required to cover the hammock, as well as what is called an under quilt which attaches to and cradles the outside of the hammock to lessen heat loss and keep the bum warm. Many hammock users dump their sleeping bags and use down quilts instead, but I would likely continue to use my cozy MontBell bag.
I think the cost of the whole set up would be about the same as the tent setup I am interested in which is Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1.
I have a couple Big Agnes tents already. One I use mostly for solo car camping trips or short backpacking trips. It's NOT a UL (ultralight) tent which I figured out after I bought it and used it.
I've shown this before in a couple other posts. The Big Agnes Lone Spring 2 tent.
We also have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3, which is a bit too large for solo trips but is a really nice tent for two. I've considered the UL1 version as well in this backpacking dilemma.
Here is the Fly Creek UL3 on a trip we took to Vermont.
Hammock camping seems to offer a little more versatility when out in the back country. All you need is a couple trees and you have your home for the night. It's not always easy or practical to find a suitable space for a tent.
The internal struggle continues.


1 comment:
I spend a good portion of my summer lazing in my hammock. Sooo comfortable. Never thought of using one in lieu of a tent. Sounds great. You would be up and away from the creepy crawlies and they are really comfortable. If you get one, take pictures.
Post a Comment