I have been making the best of the weather by getting out to enjoy the sites and use my snow shoes.
What follows is a mishmash of images I have taken over the last few weeks. We still have a lot of snow on the ground, and I hope for a slow melt rather than a heavy, long duration rainfall. That would be bad.
I have already decided we need to relocate our walkway to the back deck entrance to the mudroom to higher ground because of the way the water gathers at the gate out to the driveway. It has been frozen into the puddle that formed after our last rain/melt and become useless. But, we'll revisit that in the spring.
Much of what has made this winter tolerable has been the great birds at the feeding station here at FBF. Nothing Earth shattering, but a nice variety and in some cases, good numbers.
Wonderful visit from a male purple finch for a couple days. Really like these guys.
Male red-bellied woodpecker on the roof. He was getting water from the gutter.
Male eastern towhee above the northern cardinal. We've had a pair of towhees here for some time now. Glad they chose our feeding station to help them through the winter.
Snow piles in front of the house. The pile in front of the porch is bigger now as I have shoveled the snow from the roof and deposited it there.
The snow thrower has really been put to the test this year. Used it again this morning for 4 inches of heavy, wet snow.
The walkway I mentioned earlier. This will have to be moved this sprain/summer. It just doesn't make sense anymore.
House from the road. Still have sizable piles along both sides of the driveway.
I took a snowshoe hike out to an area in town we call The Knob. It is a small peninsula sticking out into the water between Buzzards Bay and the waters off of Woods Hole. It's wonderful any time of year, but I am loving it more in the winter.
Sailboat frozen in at Quissett Harbor.
Sea ice left behind by the tide in Quissett Harbor.
The Knob. My first time snowshoeing out here. What a great day!
My old snowshoes overlooking Buzzards Bay at The Knob.
Nobska Point Light
Nobska Point Light
I have this old picture of me dated 1977 at Old Silver Beach, so I decided that since the bay had frozen again I would have Mrs take a picture of me and create a side-by-side. So, there I am age 6 and age 44 at the same beach. The bay rarely freezes over.










3 comments:
Hard to imagine snow like you have. The piles are awesome and I hope they melt slowly. Thanks for the great pictures so we southerners can see the other half lives in winter.
Loved the side by side. Time flies huh.
It's been interesting, Patti. Boston and Worcester have almost double the amount.
Thanks Barry
I was wondering how you were doing and how your snow fall compared to Boston.
The pictures are great.
Paul
Post a Comment