We've been hearing about a storm that would start as snow and turn to rain, which it did, then another area of snow was supposed to move in and there would be accumulating snow along the coast. That happened, too. What varied almost wildly were the changing accumulation forecasts seemingly hour to hour. I had pretty much planned on around 6 inches.
When I woke at about 4 AM on Thursday, I looked out to see snow mixing in with the rain. Went back to bed and fast forward to around 8 AM when I woke again and looked out to see nothing but white. Fresh, new white on top of past storm piles.
I had a couple things to do, so I headed out to take care of them with the plan of firing up the snow thrower and clearing the driveway, parking area and maybe the neighbor's who are in Florida for a couple weeks. The roads were not bad if care was taken, but many people were not using their heads. No surprise there.
This was our road in the late morning. I did clear our lot and the neighbor's before heading off to work. The snowfall only increased in intensity and kept going until about 7 PM. We ended up with 12 inches of fairly fluffy stuff. I'll be out there again tomorrow morning and I'll even get a chance to use the new roof rake I got the other day from a place in Michigan. Will post more on that after I use it.
The trusty snow thrower about to get another workout late Thursday morning.
View from the barn about half way through the storm.
Dog pen fence pretty much useless at this point. I checked it when I got home from work tonight and it's nearly to the top now. Have to watch the rascals very closely now, though they will sink in a little bit which will hopefully make it a bit difficult to get over.
Basically what I suspect happened was the storm that skirted the coast picked up a bit more moisture from the Atlantic than was anticipated. This was pretty much a Cape Cod and Islands event though there were a few places closely on the mainland side of the bridge that received about 6 inches. Boston received a few flurries.
I'm still enjoying the winter weather and hope to get a little time to play in it in the daylight today. I figure about two or three hours to clear the driveways and pull snow from the roof. I cleaned off the Subaru when I got home, so Mrs shouldn't have much to do in the morning. Unless it snows again.




2 comments:
Goodness, you have really taken a pounding. Good thing you are geared for such storms. We have only had three kind of snows--- dustings would be better terms.
The last one was pretty and I am kind of glad Mom Nature saved her best for last. We got 6 inches of pure beauty Wed night. All ready melted. Sigh.
Hiya Barry! You look like you have more than Buffalo now! Hope you thaw out soon... :) Pam
Post a Comment