Sunday, January 25, 2015

Big One Coming In

We skated through December and January with a yawn when it comes to weather.  Yeah, it was cold here and there, but no real storms to be concerned about.  Until now.

This is one of those classic coastal storm set-ups that results in brutal winds and heavy snow.  Hard to predict accumulations.  I'm planning on a foot, but there could be close to double that.  We had one of these storms a few years back that dumped three feet on us.  Three feet of storm snow.  Storm snow holds a lot more moisture than lake snows which is why lake snow can pile up to 5 feet in no time, as we recently saw in the Buffalo area and be gone in a matter of a day or two.  Storm snow is much more difficult to deal with and tests the limits of the snow thrower.


Here is the current accumulation map I borrowed from National Weather Service.  We are located around the bottom of the first leg of the N in 'Boston'.  The 16" - 20" range.

We're SO thankful that Guapo is in Florida and safe.


We have one chicken left, so we are trying to figure out what to do with her.  I'm inclined to set up a dog crate in the basement and bring her inside (we've done this with a rooster who adopted us years ago).


I had hoped to burn our massive piles of brush that has been collecting over the last few years today.  Instead, we'll be getting things tightened up a bit, testing the snow blower and generator and topping off the fuel in both.  Bring on the mass hysteria from the local infotainment channels (I can't view them as news channels any longer).  We're ready and tough New Englanders, so no need to panic.  Hopefully I'll have some images to share in a few days.


2 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

The newscasters really are playing this one up. Good to see Guapo enjoying the Fla sunshine. Lucky horse.
Sure, bring that chicken in, especially since she is alone.
Keep you head down Barry and Mrs, batteries charged and hope the weather guys are wrong. Take care and stay warm.

Barry said...

Thanks, Patti!