Wednesday, November 20, 2013
We're Fostering. No, Really.
His name is Cisco. He is an 18 month old pointer that came from the same circle of pointer breeders as our beloved Harry. Leave it to Facebook to get us involved in something. We saw a post on Sunday evening by our friend and Harry's breeder about a male pointer named Cisco in need of a home. As he grew it became apparent that his rear end was a bit wonky, so he was pulled from the show and potential breeding program. Everything shows that he is fine on X-ray; no dysplasia and that sort of thing. It seems his rear end is just weird.
He's a big boy, but even at 62 pounds he is a bit underweight. This is fairly typical of male pointers at his age. Goodness knows we went through it with Harry and still work through an occasional 'hunger strike' with him.
Cisco had moved all the way out to California (with one of Harry's sisters, oddly enough) before being retired from the program and returned to Massachusetts. I never really had any attraction to liver pointers, but they are growing on me. He is a bit unusual in that he has a solid color head. It seems most pointers have white right down the middle.
I expect he will be with us through Thanksgiving. It's been an interesting couple of days trying to get him settled and into something that resembles a routine. My main goal is to keep him happy and get a few pounds on him. He is incredibly sweet, but very much still a puppy. He was neutered three days before we got him, so he cannot blow off any of his 18 month old steam, which is a bit of a challenge.
I'm not certain what the next few days will bring. I find him to be quite lovable and see great potential to be a lovely companion, but he is a bit of a blockhead. I suspect he is still thinking with the wrong brain, but those lines were cut on Friday. He definitely needs exposure but really he just needs a chance. I'm all for the underdog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Aren't you a sweetie and I think Cisco is quite handsome. Wonder if he will grow out of his misaligned rear end?
Hope your gang is accepting him. Sure you don't want another??
Patti - He is doing well, putting on weight and seems stronger in the rear already. He's not going to be staying with us, though. We'll probably take him back on Sunday or Monday. I like him a lot though.
Post a Comment