If there is one thing I get from winter, it's an itch. Actually, I get a few itches. One is the typical dry air = dry skin itch, another is the I-need-sun-to-get-rid-of-this-hideous-white-skin-itch. The main itch is that of being in the garden. I ALWAYS have good intentions to plant, plant, plant, grow, grow, grow!
We are still using tomatoes from this garden which was a huge producer in 2010. Yes, 2010. We used a FoodSaver to freeze them whole, and they are still just as tasty in soups, stews and sauces.
I am hoping the plant strong diet I am following will encourage me to grow more of my own food. We do have a giant freezer we need to fill with something. Truthfully, it is so much easier to just go to the store or farmers market to load up on stuff for just one or two people. Is that the better way to go?
Mrs has been joining me in many meals and giving me new recipes to try which has been really nice. I have a giant shopping list to tackle tomorrow. We did very well getting though more than a week on what we bought, with great variety and flavors to keep us from getting burned out on eating the same thing day after day. I have pretty much taken to making up my own recipes as I go, and have tons of food that I bring to work.
One thing I haven't quite figured out is how to deal with traveling. Even a day trip or overnight to friends who are not vegetarian or vegan. I guess the easy thing to do is plan and pack my own meals. We certainly will accommodate visitors, and even cook as we normally would for them. Camping should be much easier. Stir frying and roasting veggies over the fires, potatoes, quinoa, whole grain cereals and oatmeal. And of course my granola, which I make about once a month. I think it will work out just fine.
Off to moisturize....
2 comments:
Ha ha, got to keep that skin soft.
Gardening for two can be done though you will go through bumper crops when you get a wee bit tired of Kale every day. Think smaller than you usually would.
Glad you are still plant based.
Patti - My knuckles are bleeding from all the anti-flu hand washing and cold air.
We have a giant freezer so I think I can process most anything that I over-grow. Summer is my favorite season and I always get caught up in doing other things. Not enough hours in the day.
Post a Comment