I ran my normal warm up run through the woods behind the high school. I normally reach the end of the trail, do a sweeping u-turn in the road and head back into the woods. As I exited the woods, the road looked to be clear, and without thinking I performed the usual u-turn. Or tried to, at least. Quicker than I could yell any profanities I was skittering across the road on my back, much like an upside-down turtle. Luckily this is a side road with little traffic!
As most people do, I glanced around to see if there were any witnesses to the event, then checked for any injuries. Amazingly nothing hurt terribly and there was no blood. Good deal. So, back into the woods to finish my warm up and see what the coach had in mind.
She decided to have me run quarters, or one time around the track. I could just make out the edge of the track under the snow, so I used that as my guide. After each time around I would get a short break and we would chat. It was actually a fun workout, though tiring. Amazing what a couple inches of snow on top of slush feels like at the end of a quarter.
So, we still have a good bit of the stuff on the ground, but it is not pleasant. Hoping for a warm up to get rid of it, then a proper snow storm to enjoy.
Running this week was changed from Sunday to Saturday, but I could not make that class. I decided to run in town and along the coast on Sunday. I was planning on a 5 mile run, but that turned into just a hair over 10 miles. Challenging, but worth it. It was just warm enough to get away with wearing shorts, but I had 3 layers on top, gloves and a hat. The roads and sidewalks were mostly clear, and I had little trouble on the run.
I've got a long way to go if I hope to do the marathon successfully in October. Now I am kicking around the idea of the Lake Placid, NY half marathon in June. Lots of hills from what I hear. Something we don't have too many of here at sea level. Some, but not Adirondack hills.
After the run, some chow and a shower we took two of the pups for a walk. The greyhound's paws are sensitive and she just hates icy snow. And she ends up with little cuts. So, she stayed home while Mrs & I walked. They had a grand time zooming around and hunting mice and birds.
They are quite a pair.

No comments:
Post a Comment