Mrs and I got a chance to use our snowshoes on Sunday. I was pleased to be able to get out on them after reinstalling the bindings. Last season I had difficulty with one of them turning outward with each step making it difficult to walk in them. We took Harry out to his usual spot at the local wildlife management area where he had great fun bounding through the snow, pouncing on what we assume were mice or voles and burying himself in the drifts trying to get to their nests. I have watched him come up with and tear apart several nests, and luckily the ones I have seen have been empty.
Harry concentrating hard and pouncing into the snow.
Harry burying himself almost completely in the snow. He was having a blast!
We were treated to the sight and sound of horned larks flying over our heads and landing nearby. A treat on an already wonderful walk.
I am typing this post up after 2 am on Wednesday. Most all traces of the snow storm quickly melted away on Monday night and Tuesday as temps hit 50 degrees and we had some liquid precipitation. I walked at one of the conservation areas I monitor on Tuesday afternoon and found dandelions in flower and also a lone (and very unstable) honey bee buzzing around here at the house. It really is an odd winter.







No comments:
Post a Comment