Thursday, January 12, 2012

First Storm, 2012

This is one of those days when you wake up, listen to the wind and rain pounding the house and pull the covers over your head.  No one was in a hurry to get up this morning.  I pushed Harry out the slider and after being hit full on by the wind, he turned and almost crawled back to the door.  He's not a fan of rain.  So, we tried again at the mudroom door where I stood on the deck and made him go far enough out to at least pee.

After feeding them and getting some more suitable clothing on, I let him and Bella out again while I fed the horse and let the chickens out (they also turned around and stayed in the coop).  It's not that bad.  Honestly.  Bella really doesn't care much about bad weather.  She's pretty happy all the time.  Harry quickly got used to it and I think having his big sister out there with him helped.  I don't want this guy to be  a spaz like his predecessor, cowering and/or barking at every little thing that comes along.

This is a minor storm; an annoyance, really.  Rain and wind out of the east currently at 20 to 30 mph.  There may be gusts to 55 later on.  I'm hoping for Harry's first snow soon, if we even get any this year.


This is a shot from the other day of a couple of the raised beds.  The little bit of frost that was in the ground melted off so I decided to amend the soil with some of our compost; one or two wheelbarrows full depending on the depth of the bed.  It's looking very nice and with luck and the hope of good weather we should be able to make the land work for us again.  Anxious to get my hands in the soil.

No comments: