On January 1st, Harry will be 6 months old. You have no idea how big a void this little guy has had to fill after we lost Logan. Even Bella has seemed glad to have him around from day one, after about a week of moping around.
This shot was taken at their first meeting.
After a few minutes we removed her leash and collar and off they went together.
I am amazed at just how easy he has been. House training was not bad with only one or two setbacks that were no big deal. Our plan was to do as much off-leash exploring as possible with him and we have been good about it. Over the last several weeks, I have become a bit apprehensive about letting him go. His legs are longer and can move him farther away from us in much less time. Will he get on a scent and keep going? Will he respond to our whistle? I get a sick, sinking feeling just before allowing him off leash now. I guess I am just going to do it and have faith in him that he'll return or not wonder too far.
Hunting season has really thrown a wrench in the works since we have only been able to go to a nearby wildlife reserve on Sundays since October. I resorted to a town conservation area that is heavily wooded. He has never not returned to me, though one time I did have to walk away from the car until he followed. That may have been when that feeling began. For his sake, and our sanity I must get over it so he can run himself silly.
We have also started taking him to the dog park for more exposure to different dogs and to try to keep him from being too timid around other dogs. He seems to enjoy that quite a bit.
Maybe Santa will bring him a promise of a group training class. I think that would benefit him (and me) greatly.
2 comments:
What a handsome fellow he has become. A new puppy never replaces the one we lose but it they really dull the pain.
I think the classes are a good idea and reworking his coming when called should be on going. I had a Basanji. They are notorious for not coming when called. With a lot of work and reward, he became remarkable about minding. I know your fear.
Merry Christmas to you all.
Thanks, Patti. He's a special little boy. We love him to bits.
Post a Comment