We took the winter cover off of our little pop-up camper for a peak inside to see if there was any obvious sign of mice damage. Seeing none and hoping that once we open it fully that observation holds true, I moved it into the driveway. I was happy to find that all of the lights are in working order. Aside from resealing some of the roof joints, adding air to the tires and a little bit for cleaning inside we should be good to go for the summer, or at least for the only trip we have planned.
I was able to get several raised beds turned over as well, and added compost to one of them. Installed some fencing too to keep the chickens from heading down the driveway and into the perennial beds.
Sunday morning I spent at the former kennel property with the administrator of our local private conservation group with volunteers from our local Jewish Congregation. This was their Day of Mitzvah, which loosely translated is a day that they spend time doing something to improve the World or, more locally, the community. We have a good number of men, women and children all of whom were ready and willing to work, and work hard. They gave a couple hours and in that time we manage to remove a lot of invasive young locust trees, black cherry and autumn olive in an area that we eventually hope to return to grassland habitat, though it is a small area, it is an important one.
We worked around native plants such as a few beach plum. They were in full bloom so it made them quite easy to spot and keep safe from the blades of pruners and loppers.
We were so busy cutting limbs and ripping up locusts with a nifty hand tool called a Weed Wrench that I had no time to take photos of the event itself. the Weed Wrench is FANTASTIC! I had reservations about using it, but it really gives a great start to tearing unwanted plants out of the ground with minimal damage.
We also worked on removing old welded wire fencing and wooden posts. there is still a lot of that to come down, but we can work on it over time. Amazingly enough, we had another glorious morning of nearly full sun. Mrs and I worked on a project (more on that at a later date). It did start raining later in the afternoon, but I'm not complaining.
A couple more (former) kennel property images.
Today was not as nice. We had to take Logan in to have some lumps looked at at the vet. They popped up quickly and not long after his last surgery. It appears most of them are mast cell cancer. We're not sure what, if any course of action we are going to take. For now, he is acting normally and just as silly as he normally is.
2 comments:
Now that was a productive weekend. It seems strange that you are just starting gardening. I have all ready started to harvest my lettuce and everything else is up nicely though it decided to drop into the high 30's this AM. It has been a roller coaster year.
So sorry about Logan's new cancers but am glad he seems unaffected by them for now. Old age for our dogs is full of decisions.
Barry, I envy you your weed wrench. I have worked with one before and it is amazing the mechanical advantage it gives you. Thanks for the link.
Post a Comment