Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ektorp

For quite some time, we've been talking about replacing our old sofa and chair.  They have served us well over the many years we've had them.  Mrs has been using slip covers over them for years now mainly since the fabric became terribly faded in the sun thanks to crappy vinyl replacement windows that one of our local dopes sells.  You would think UV protection would be standard in windows.




Since the weather continues to be unfavorable for outdoor work or play, we decided to take a ride up to IKEA in Stoughton, MA.  I have mixed feelings about using a giant store like this for purchases, but I guess these days it's hard to avoid.  We like a lot of the styles in IKEA.  We  decided on the style of sofa we wanted, Ektorp, but were back and forth about a large sectional or a loveseat and chaise lounge combination.  The loveseat/chaise combination gives the same length as a sofa with the benefit of the chaise.  We grabbed a couple new throw pillows and sheepskin rens and continued walking around the store looking at all the things we'd like to buy and even the kitchen we'd like to replace ours with.

Mrs was ready to check out with our pillows and rens.  I protested a little bit thinking it was silly to have driven all that way and not leave with a new sofa.  Maybe we should look a little more?  Back to the sofa section and we asked the young lady at the information area about how large the boxes would be.  Delivery would be $100.  We had driven up in the Rav4 and were not certain of it's capacity.  She was only able to give us a rough estimate of box sizes. 2 boxes, both about 2'x4'.  The third box was small containing the covers.

Hmmmm.  Now the decision.  To buy or not to buy?  One more thing to check before the decision.  Mrs left me with out pillows at the top of the escalator and ran out to the parking garage to take measurements of the interior of the Rav.  I knew the boxes would fit in the 4Runner, but did not wish to drive all the way back to the Cape and then back to Stoughton.  And we didn't want to wait for delivery.  We pulled the trigger and bought Extorp loveseat and chaise lounge in Blekinge white.  White.  Really?  Ok.  I'm not above giving that a try.  Besides, the entire cover comes off and is machine washable.  It would look good.

We checked out with our pillows, rens and sheet of paper for Ektorp.  I apparently had forgotten that IKEA does not provide bags.  I thought perhaps our cashier had forgotten to bag the stuff up, but when I looked for bags at the end of every counter, I found none.  So, off we walked with pillows and rens bundled in our arms, to the place where they bring the big pieces of furniture out from the big warehouse.

It took a little longer than I assume is normal to get the boxes brought out from the warehouse as a couple had apparently purchased everything they would need to furnish a home.  Cart after cart after cart was lined up at the to-be-delivered window and the employees were busy getting that mess sorted out.  The woman behind the pick-up counter seemed convinced that we could not fit a loveseat and chaise in a Rav4.  A couple of the workers broke free and our boxes were soon rolled out on one cart.  Um....  She might be right....

We rolled the giant box out of the store and into the parking garage.  Mrs brought the Rav up and opened the back door.  We measured the boxes, measured the Rav and measured again.  Hmmmmm.  No way.  I was nearly convinced we could not do this.  Yes, definitely in the 4Runner, but not the Rav.

On closer inspection the one really large box was actually two boxes held together with plastic wrap.  We cut them free and tried to fit them.  With some significant shoving and grunting, we managed - barely- to get them in with enough room for the smallest box to sit behind them.  We left some packaging and cardboard at the trash cans and headed off.


So, can you fit a loveseat/chaise into a Rav4?  Yep!

We went about the job of putting it together almost as soon as we arrived home.

 The old sofa.

So, the project began.  Turns out, each box contained one side each of the sofa and the chaise.  Right hand side in one box, left in the other.



The pieces of one side of Ektorp.

 The instruction booklet.  No words.  Just pictures.

All of the hardware to put it together.  No tools needed other than the small wrench that comes with it.

 More bits.  Both large boxes empty now.

 Right and left sides with arms attached.  The foot portion of the chaise behind the right side and some cushions in the dining room.

 Mrs tightening one of the nuts securing the arm to the base.

Mrs adding the center support and hardware that hold the two sides together.

 Legs attached.

 Slip cover over the sofa portion.

 Ektorp all put together.  Old sofa in the background behind the cat.  We'll be tweaking the furniture layout over the coming weeks, I'm sure.

We're quite happy with our decision and lounged around in comfort last night.

Now we have to decide how to dispose of the old sofa and chair.  We have repurposed the cushions and the dogs are happily using them as their beds.

I called the recycling and transfer station in the next town over and it appears I can leave them the sofa and chair for a nominal fee, despite not living in town.  Good plan.  Just need a truck and another body.

6 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Now that is a packed car. Had no idea you would have to assemble them but you did a great job.
Cool recycle of the old cushions.

Fooseberry said...

Well thanks for the step by step because now I know I can buy and assemble an Ikea sofa. Last time I was there I found one I really liked. Looks good and you basically have white dogs so it will all work in the end.

Barry said...

The dogs are LOVING the cushions from the old couch and chair (which are still in our dining room until Saturday's trip to the recycle center).

And Jennifer, it was super easy. What's extra-sweet is when you don't like to color anymore, or there is damage or wear to the fabric, you can buy all new covers. It is also amazingly comfortable. I was very skeptical at first. The price was a big plus. We did have one extra washer though.... Um. What?

Anonymous said...

Hey Barry! I LOVE the new sofa! I have been thinking about a new one in off white...the slipcover deal might make it doable! I thought an off white color would be a great background to any color quilt.

Ann said...

Great I have often wondered about the Ikea furniture and you can do a whole kitchen including appliances.

I received an Ikea cataloge before I moved as one had opened in Tampa when I moved.

Ann said...

Love the sofa and it looks simple to put together. Please note the acorn does not fall far from the tree