Sunday, May 22, 2011

Fighting Succession

My view today was mainly of the front of my lawn tractor and walk-behind mower chewing through many blades of grass and other plants (I don't believe in a monoculture, chemical filled lawn).  I got a majority of the mowing done, with the exception of the dog play yard which can wait another day or two.

As I cut the path between the paddock and woods I made note of many young trees and shrubs that will need to be cut back this year.  Black cherry and some scrub oak being the targets.  It's amazing just how fast the woods tries to take back the non-woods.  And I love that.

So, sometime this year I'll spend time cutting and sawing and pruning things that don't belong. Again.

Despite the seemingly endless gray and cold and wet, we can take comfort in the lushness of the plants.  This has to be one of the best years for azaleas I have seen; nearly all the leaves are obscured by flowers.

The male eastern bluebirds persistent territorial displays seem to have worked.  A female has been joining him frequently in the yard.  So far, no nest.  We remain hopeful.  I discovered yesterday a titmouse sitting on eggs in one of the boxes.  I think I was as surprised as she was when I opened the box as she tried to disappear into the material.  I could see some feathers and wide, black eyes glaring at me.  If she could have hissed at me, I believe she would have.

Spring is progressing normally despite our moods created by the gray.

1 comment:

Arkansas Patti said...

I agree, the rain has been relentless but the plants love it. Arkansas is looking quite lush these days.
My lawn only has occasional specimens of actual grass. A huge variety of weeds however when mowed do resemble a lawn. I let it be also.