Monday, May 2, 2011

Beautiful Day

Mrs and I had to spend most of the morning tied up at an appointment.  Actually, it was her appointment, but since she is my world I was there to make sure nothing happened to her.  Once that was over, we stopped at Coffee Obsession for our 5 pounds of coffee beans (which lasts us 7 weeks) and grabbed a couple cups of coffee while there.  I had a couple hours to kill before heading to the former kennel property for a meeting.  I spent most of that time mowing grass and Mrs lugged bags of trash and recycling to the road for tomorrow's curbside pick up.  I don't think the trash guy will be pleased with us.  It's amazing just how much we were able to dispose of and how much more we probably could.  Hopefully the Golden Ticket was not hiding in anything....  I think I mentioned we filled half of a small dumpster as well....

Mrs has been able to put some things from horse riding days on eBay as well and one thing sold in no time at all.  In fact I had to add a trip to the Post Office to my list for tomorrow.  Also on that list is another trip to the grain store for dog food.  I was a bit disappointed this weekend to get there only to find they did not have my food.  I special order Fromm Whitefish and Potato kibble for Logan (his hair falls out if he eats anything else), and Bella-Boo eats it as well.  Apparently the young lady who had been keeping the food on order no longer works there, so the owner, whom I have known since the early 80s, had forgotten it.  We're completely out after tonight's supper, and the truck does not arrive until around noon tomorrow.  I have one can of food that I keep on hand in case one of them gets sick, so I'll use that for breakfast.  Poor beasts.  Hopefully the truck comes on time and the Fromm is on it.  I ordered two to keep extra on-hand between orders.

I met with an old friend at 3PM at the former kennel property to take a walk around for an initial habitat assessment.  It was very relaxed and we were joined for a time by the coordinator of the stewardship program.  We found some great native plant species and were treated to the songs of migrant birds.  We hope to be back soon for more birds and to see what plants emerge as spring turns to summer.

I didn't take many photos, but here are a few.

 What an abandoned cranberry bog looks like after more than 40 years, to the left of the walking path.  I love me some habitat!

 Young fern that we believe is sensitive fern.

A sneak peak at some of the buildings on the property.  Sadly, most of the buildings will likely be razed. I had hoped that at least the silo would be saved, but that is still very much up in the air.  The small building in the foreground at one time served as a pump house to bring water from the small river (which is behind me in this shot) to the cows in the barn.  I am told that this was one of the first farms in which the cows could call for their own water by stepping on something to allow the water to flow into the barn.  Dairy left the Cape long ago, and this farm was an important one in it's day.

3 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Anywhy you could salvage the silo and keep it on your property? Could be useful as well as eye catching.
Enjoying the pretty day here also.

Barry said...

Great idea, Patti! It would be a huge and expensive undertaking, though. It would be ideal to leave it in place and try to raise funds to repair it. It is made of large tiles that need to be repointed. I'm not sure if they have even gotten an estimate yet. There is some suggestion that a winery across the street may be interested in moving the large, old barn over to their property.

The house, built in the 1700s is pretty much a total loss (mainly because the town insists on bringing everything up to code after it is moved), though someone will likely salvage some of the wide-board floors and walls.

For now, we are concentrating on keeping the grounds up and somewhat tidy.

Darlene said...

I remember Spring and Fall as being the best seasons in your State. Both are glorious and almost make up for the snow and ice of winter and the heat and humidity of summer. Enjoy!