Funny thing about greyhounds. Their bellies growl (loudly!) when they are hungry. I assume this happens to other breeds, but I am pretty sure I have heard it in all of the greys that came into my life from time to time, usually while they snooze next to the bed in the mornings before breakfast.
As I mentioned in the last post, we had completely run out of their kibble after last night's feeding because of an ordering oversight at the grain store. I had a single can of 'special diet' food left over from the vet after one of their last gastric episodes, which I planned to use for their breakfast. I woke to Bella's cute, fuzzy belly growling as she slept on her bed next to mine. I've never noticed this in Logan so perhaps it's the lack of space in a greyhound's abdomen that causes the noises to be more audible. This noise disturbs me so much I cannot describe it accurately. I get so anxious and upset when I hear it. It bothers me terribly knowing that all across the country (world, really) people and animals are going hungry. If I think about it too much I boarder on going a little nuts.
It horrified me to have but a few kibble crumbs in their bin. They didn't seem to mind terribly having canned this morning and this would certainly hold them over until I could get their regular food which was not expected at the grain store until after 1:00. Logan should not have any adverse reaction to this stuff as it is mainly chicken and rice.
I had some time to kill so I cleaned out the chicken coop, removing all of their bedding and going so far as to vacuum out the three nest boxes. I lightly hosed out the coop as well, and set Guapo's fan in there to move the air and dry it out a little faster.
Mrs came home for lunch and we put together the eBay item she needed me to have mailed to South Dakota. After she left, I went to the post office to mail it out and then headed for the grain store on the other side of town. The owner was not there and a frazzled looking young man, recognizing me, indicated that he had not gotten to my food yet (motioning to several pallets of food in the warehouse). I told him nicely that I would wait while he found it as I was completely out, needed it now, and had to go to work soon.
After waiting a few minutes while he and another female employee searched the pallets and the inventory sheets, she came in to report that they were not on the order. "Maybe we can find something comparable?" I was a bit terse and said "There is nothing comparable. His hair will fall out if he eats anything else." It was approaching almost-too-late to seek out an alternative. I knew that a grain place we used to go to three towns away and about 20 minutes drive (in good traffic) carried the food I needed so I did my best to get there safely, albeit a little on the fast side, a lump in my throat the whole ride. I arrived in a cloud of dust from the parking lot gravel, saying a quick "hello" to the turkeys walking around freely outside of the store. They had recently moved the store to a this location so not knowing where the food was kept I asked the woman at the counter if they still kept Fromm on hand. She assured me that they did (I must have looked absolutely desperate) and lead me to where it was kept way in the back of the store. She said it was a popular brand so she keeps it on hand all the time. I grabbed the two bags that she had, still picturing the poor beasts at home with empty food dishes. They were a few dollars more than at my usual place, but I didn't care. My beasties would eat properly tonight.
I may be getting the food there from now knowing that they carry it and other flavors regularly. I might even switch back to them for our cat, horse, and chicken feed as well.
You may be asking yourself why did I not just go to the store and buy another brand. We've tried this approach before with terrible consequences paid by Logan with bald patches and itch, inflamed skin. We have no idea what in the food causes this reaction, but I am not willing to risk it. I think the savings on vet bills justifies the extra cost associated with the Fromm.
I do know that I am still angry with my grain guy and have not decided if I'll be going back in the next few days to discuss things with him. I am normally a VERY patient, understanding individual when it comes to most things. I worked in this business for years and know how difficult it can be, but this almost caused the top to blow off my head. I could feel the anger in my fingertips. A little bit of my father's temper, perhaps. He rarely showed it, but look out when he did.
The drive home was a little less hurried and I was able to enjoy the tunes coming from my iPod. I may have even sang along a little bit. I made it in time to quickly add bedding to the chicken coop and get them settled in as well as move some things from their coop over to my tool shed where they belong. I even found a tape measure I had 'lost' some time ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment