I took Thursday off from work so Mrs and I could be with her Dad and Step Mom. We all enjoy the usual Thanksgiving fare, but Step Mom is a brilliant cook. She had not done Thanksgiving in several years so she decided to take care of it for us. We delivered the Watt's Family Farm turkey to her ahead of time so all we had to do was bring ourselves and whatever booze we might want.
The Patriots game was to begin at 12:30, so we arrived a bit after noon to spend the day.
The Watt's turkey just prior to the rest of the goodies hitting the table.
We spent an enjoyable day and evening with them. It was a good, low-key Thanksgiving Day.
Since then, in addition to a couple work shifts, I have been doing some work around the property getting things ready for winter and also working on getting the dogs' play yard put together. I've got all of the fence posts sunk and began installing the welded wire fencing today. I want to tweak the posts that will hold the gate leading to our back door. The angle and the approach does not feel right.
The outer fence line for the play area. I have left a wide space between the play yard and the paddock to allow for a large vehicle to get around. The welded wire fencing I am using is what we had around the raised-bed garden, so I am not even sure I have enough at this point, but it appears I will. I have two gates to build and hang and then the pups can have a good run. I dread what they will do to the yard, but they do need it.
Today was quite nice. Chilly, but mostly sunny. I spent a number of hours outside and had the chickens running around. They get out quite often these days and seem to enjoy every minute. Today I just took in the sounds of the environment while going about my business. I usually do this, but the sounds seemed a bit more crisp today. The sound of the chickens scratching amongst the leaves. The sound of Guapo chewing on his hay. The chickadees, titmice and other winter birds rolling through the trees; back and forth to the feeders. And I always - ALWAYS - know when a Cooper's or sharp-shinned hawk is cruising through. The chickadees and titmice sound the alarm. High-pitched whistles that are unmistakable. "HAWK!"
Even Rosie, our rooster, makes a certain noise when a hawk comes through. It puts me on guard just in case the hawk tries for one of the chickens.
Rosie on guard.
I know I have it in me. Somewhere, deep down, is someone who wants to be organized. Someone who wants to have things neat and orderly and easy to find. But he escapes me frequently. I gave it a try today. The hoses needed to be drained and put up for the winter. I also acquired four more hoses from the kennel after the closing, so I definitely needed to do something. So, after running water through all of them to get the ice out and then draining them, I rolled them as neatly as possible and hung them in the exaggerated eve on the west side of the barn. Ready and waiting for the next use.
Warming the hoses after draining for easier coiling.
Hoses stored and ready for 2011. It's a start.
There are many things I want to do around here. After the dog pen is complete (and I am motivated to do get that done sooner rather than later), I will be tackling the tool/equipment shed. Oil needs to be changed, gas needs to be treated, and the snow blower needs to be ready. Can I do that before next week? Maybe. I'm allowing two weeks. Hopefully there will not be a blizzard between now and then.
Tomorrow (Tuesday) I will be attending a memorial service for an old friend who passed away the morning before Thanksgiving. Another victim of one of only a few things I can truly use the word hate for. Cancer. The woman and dear friend who cared for my mother until she died in her home almost 20 years ago was also there for this friend when she passed. She has become as close to a Mother as I have these days. It was said, after my Dad died in '87 that I had several Mothers. Itook take great comfort in that.
To quote, as I often do, one of John Mellencamp's songs: "Life is short, even in it's longest days."
Take a moment to step back, look at what you have. Hug the ones you love.
There are many things I want to do around here. After the dog pen is complete (and I am motivated to do get that done sooner rather than later), I will be tackling the tool/equipment shed. Oil needs to be changed, gas needs to be treated, and the snow blower needs to be ready. Can I do that before next week? Maybe. I'm allowing two weeks. Hopefully there will not be a blizzard between now and then.
Tomorrow (Tuesday) I will be attending a memorial service for an old friend who passed away the morning before Thanksgiving. Another victim of one of only a few things I can truly use the word hate for. Cancer. The woman and dear friend who cared for my mother until she died in her home almost 20 years ago was also there for this friend when she passed. She has become as close to a Mother as I have these days. It was said, after my Dad died in '87 that I had several Mothers. I
To quote, as I often do, one of John Mellencamp's songs: "Life is short, even in it's longest days."
Take a moment to step back, look at what you have. Hug the ones you love.
1 comment:
Sounds like a really nice Thanksgiving. Awesome turkey.
I am sorry you lost your friend. Mr. Mellencamp is so right.
Keep those chickens safe and I know the dogs will appreciate all your work.
Post a Comment