I jumped in the 4Runner today and headed to the north side of the Cape to see the waves and experience the power of it all on Cape Cod Bay. I stopped at Sandy Neck Beach first. What a day! The bay was roiling and quite beautiful.
After Sandy Neck, I headed west towards the Cape Cod Canal entrance where it meets Cape Cod Bay. I stopped at the boardwalk at Town Neck first to see if it might be under water, but the tide was not high yet. I am certain it will be under water though.
I had an amazingly difficult time pushing the car door open against the wind here. Had I been properly outfitted I would have walked the boardwalk.
Looking towards the Cape Cod Canal (it's behind those rocks) in Sandwich, MA. The following images are of the same area.
Deep piles of foam build up with each wave. It's rather nasty, really.

Cell phone image taken at the Cape Cod Canal near Joe's Lobster Mart in Sandwich. The water was up over the bulkhead at times and there was splash over onto the 4Runner. I left soon after.
Greater black-backed gull near the Cape Cod Canal.
I would really like to get a proper digital video camera. It would be nice to be able to share video of a day like this. For now though, I'll borrow some video from the Cape Cod Times taken on the other end of the Cape earlier today.




3 comments:
Love your pictures Barry. I really like an angry sea. That foam really is yucky though.
Hard to imagine that boardwalk going under water. That is a bit much.
Stay safe.
Hi Patti - It's amazing what a storm can do. Sadly, not many are ready for the 'big one'. The boardwalk was destroyed in a hurricane in 1991 then rebuilt. Here's a link to an earlier blog of mine when it was flooded.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_C0aZLSi3Xn8/S0EhoNp7G7I/AAAAAAAADFU/7h9du7-LDJY/s1600-h/010310solo+%2865%29.JPG
Brrr. It looks like a gray, cold day. I would go home and pour a drink
(whatever your libation is; hot chocolate for me) and huddle by the fire.
The sea can be so powerful and must be respected.
Post a Comment