Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Good Fences Make Great Neighbors

I have been collecting fencing, new and used, for a little while now. I am taking down a bunch of 5 foot welded wire from the kennel's outdoor play yard and using it. Why not, right? Some is in really good shape and some in fair condition. I had a roll at the house already and I'd guess it was about 35 feet long. I installed that today after a trip to Home Depot to buy some steel stakes for the project. My plan is to surround a large portion of the property, including the entire house. This will take quite a bit of time and and a lot more fence.

I also have to tackle the problem of building and installing gates. I expect to need six. Two I have already. I'll need one for each of the walkways. One going to the back door and one to the front door (which is technically on the side of the house). I have a few thoughts in mind for those, but really I won't know how they will come out until I build them. I want them to look nice, but somewhat funky, too. The top priority is that they be secure to keep the dogs in.

Why go through all this? Well, with the closing of the kennel I am losing the only place I would trust leaving the dogs run loose in a safe and secure play area. The town is in the process of constructing a 'dog park' but I will not use that. I do not trust other people to be responsible with their dogs. And I know my greyhound will kick some ass. She is very competitive - though apparently not competitive enough to have made it past 6 maiden races - and I now put a racing muzzle on her when she and Logan run together.

The section I worked on today is a separate project, I guess. This will secure the property line and keep the chickens from being able to cross over onto the neighbor's property. It starts where the stockade ends and will end at the back corner of the horse barn with a large gate to access the back acre. I feel better having this property line more secure and expect to finish it up this week if I can get enough fence taken down at the kennel. Then I'll start on the other fence. Images to follow at some point. Have quite a bit to do before winter.

3 comments:

Fooseberry said...

I wish I had your steam for home projects. I looked at my lawn last night and thought-When will that crap stop growing again? I need a head lamp to get my stuff done. At least we can host roller derbies in the garage again.
Good luck with the fence project.

Arkansas Patti said...

Have fun Barry. I am a firm believer in that saying.
I bought this place partly for the fencing. Mighty is not street wise, even country street wise. It is comforting to just let him out the door and feel he will be all right. Racing cars and neighbor dogs are no problem. His terrier attitude would get him into scraps he could in no way finish.
I really like that 2x4 welded wire even though it is a bit more difficult to get stretched right.

Barry said...

Fooseberry - I treated myself to sleeping in 'til 9:30 this morning. It was sweet! Then I went to RBF and took down about 100 more feet of fence. I've got another 100 or so to get, hopefully tomorrow.

Patti - I will have to monitor the dogs, especially at night. Skunks, rabbits, opossum, squirrels, coyotes, turkeys.... Oh my. And the ticks are still out. Just picked a deer tick off Bella yesterday.