Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tucson, AZ Trip - Day 2

May 16, 2010 -

We woke very early to an amazing dawn chorus of birds. I think they get it over with early to beat the heat. We had no plan and were in no rush to get up or out and about. Certainly no hiking today. It's vacation, after all.

We spent the morning enjoying coffee and the wonderful, dry air listening to the sounds of the desert birds. Predominately the whit-weet call of the curve-billed thrasher, but numerous others as well.

On our last visit to Tucson, we purchased an original painting at an exhibition for local artist Ruth Canada held at the visitors center / art gallery in Roy P. Drachman Agua Caliente Park. We also purchased a couple prints of works we liked. One of them is of a place I only knew from the description as the DeGrazia Mission.

This print hangs in my bathroom, which I suppose sounds strange, but it works in there. So, seeing this image everyday I could not help but want to see the mission in person. Now, I am not a religious person, but I do enjoy visiting places like this. I was not overly familiar with DeGrazia either. So, we decided to go visit The DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun, and what a great decision it was!

And here is the actual chapel.



Located on 10 acres on N. Swan Road in Tucson is the Gallery in the Sun, chapel and Little Gallery, as well as other buildings. Little Gallery is now used for artists' exhibits. The 10 acres were purchased by DeGrazia in the 1950s.

Main entrance to the gallery and gift store. There is a very heavy metal door shaped similarly to the exterior door.


Part of the interior of the gallery.

One of the original pieces.

Another original. There are a lot of original pieces for sale, way out of our price range.

One of the rooms in the gallery with some of Ted DeGrazia's personal items.

In one of the outdoor courtyards.

One of my favorite murals in the mission.

I think we both enjoyed our time at the gallery, and indeed we went back later in the week to purchase a few more prints. For more information about Ted DeGrazia, check out the biography here.

No comments: