The books have been extremely enlightening and are loaded with common sense. It's shocking to me how badly we as US Americans have been screwed up by something as simple as eating, or more accurately, improper eating and over eating. Processed "food" seems to be a root cause of those of us consuming a Western diet. We are the greatest developed nation on the planet and we are also the sickest. I have begun steering away from processed food products, but it can be difficult. There are several rules to follow, but really they make perfect sense.
Examples are:
"Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.
"Avoid food products containing ingredients that are:
- unfamiliar
- unpronounceable
- more than five in number
- include HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP "
"Avoid food products that make health claims."
"Shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay out of the middle."
"Get out of the supermarket whenever possible." (use farmers markets, CSAs, etc)
There is certainly more to the book than just those few rules. Before you get scared off and say "I can't afford to eat food" or "I don't have time" or "my kids won't eat food" consider how much damage we are doing. We are the only species that does not know what to eat and need the government and corporations to tell us what and how to eat. And don't get me started on the medical industry.
Anyway, it's a good book, an easy read and a must.
Join me as I try my damnedest to get away from processed food products.
In the words of Michael Pollan, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."
3 comments:
Just found out this week that Pollan is giving the first library lecture next fall (http://blog.syracuse.com/entertainment/2010/03/rosamond_gifford_lecture_serie.html).
Yippee!Did you read his piece in the NYT last summer? I loved it.
"Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch": http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/magazine/02cooking-t.html?em=&emc=eta1&pagewanted=all
Will check it out Barry. Weight Watchers warns you about the center aisles. Thanks for the reminder.
Hope I can get his book on Kindle for I am addicted to that form but won't let that stop me.
Great post B.! It is shameful how the people of this country have given up their common sense in favor of letting the government tell them what is good for them and how they should do it, making for a country full of zombies...................
Post a Comment