It feels as though winter might be here on the Cape for a little while. We have a bit of snow on the ground and will be in a relative cold spell for some time. Certainly not like the north country, but enough for me to long for the feel of the air in the Adirondacks.
There is a certain smell in the air when it is really cold. Last night I walked out to give Guapo his late feeding and the smoke from a nearby fireplace or wood stove had settled over Frost Bottom. I love that combination of cold and wood smoke in the air. It's comforting to me and I often wish we had a wood burning stove.
This evening I went on my first outdoor run since Thanksgiving. I believe it was also the coldest run, but I had invested in some great cold weather gear which made it quite a pleasant run. I set out at around sunset which left the sky looking brilliant over the golf course. On the return home, also in the area of the gold course, I heard great-horned owls hooting. Soon they will be nesting. I ended the run in almost complete darkness, which was a bit odd, but I think I can get used to it.
1 comment:
I know exactly what you mean about the smell of cold night air and wood smoke... there's nothing like it. I can smell it now just thinking about it. :)
Post a Comment