Friday, December 4, 2009

Winter Moths All Hot & Bothered

We have been inundated with male winter moths, I think especially with the fantastic weather we have been experiencing. I arrived home last night (technically this morning) to this scene outside of the front door. These are male winter moths (Operophtera brumata).

They are attracted to the lights and in fact the front of the house on which we shine the spot light to showcase a wreath, was covered as well.



Winter moths were introduced to North America from Europe and have been in Canada (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and parts of New Brunswick as well as Vancouver, BC). They arrived in Massachusetts several years ago. The adults emerge in November and can be active into January. Indeed, they are active. Very active.

The females are small and wingless so all of the ones in my images are males.

The eggs are laid on tree trunks usually under bark or lichen and over winter. The larvae emerge and start the process over again in early spring. Many trees are just putting out buds when the larvae appear. The caterpillars then tunnel into the bud and start the damage even before they can leaf out.

I have had the unfortunate experience of doing a spring yard clean up in Sandwich during the peak of caterpillar leaf chomping. They come down from the trees on fine silk (called ballooning) which is most unpleasant. To add insult they also crap. A lot. In heavy infestation you can actually hear the crap hitting the ground. Imagine the sound of salt being shaken over a pile of dried leaves and then multiply it indefinitely. It's disgusting, really. I don't like wearing a hat, especially when working outside in the heat, but it's a must if working under these things. I also keep my sunroof closed.

I expect terrible defoliation next spring.

For more info on the winter moth use the Google or try these links:
UMASS
or
Massachusetts Introduced Pest Outreach Project

No comments: