After a failed attempt yesterday due to dead batteries in my GPS unit, I went back to
Bourne Conservation Trust's The Bourne Sisters Woodland to locate a
geocache. I have had a travel bug since June, and the owner contacted me this week to request that I move it along. I had intended to drop this bug sooner, but just didn't get to it. I looked for a cache in the area that looked easy to get to and in an area I had not been to before. The
Bourne Sisters Woodland seemed like a great spot. I can't find any
explanation of why it is named
Bourne Sisters.

The small, grass parking area is off of County Road in Monument Beach in between two private residences. I missed the parking area on the first pass.

I am not certain what this ditch is, but I assume it is some old attempt at draining a wetland that failed.

Tiny bridge over the ditch.

A lot of the woodland is mixed oak and pine with lots of undergrowth.

I quickly located the cache at the base of a tall holly tree.

The Celtics logo and beads are the travel bug that I needed to get moving again. I think the goal for this travel bug is to make it to the new Boston Garden and have a photo taken of it at the Garden.


A lot of the pitch pine in the woods have become victims of the invasion of pine beetles that are killing off pine trees at an alarming rate. I have lost many of them at
FBF. The beetle damage hear was quite obvious. The white blobs on the trunk are pitch tubes. The smell of pine pitch is strong.

A close up of a pine beetle tube. The trees do not last long once pine beetles get in.
It was a fairly uneventful day. I should have been packing for a trip to Vermont which we were supposed to be leaving for on 10/02 but cancelled due to lousy weather up north. I kept my days off though so no work until Wednesday. I assume I'll be working around the house and yard though.
3 comments:
Totally loved that geocacheing cartoon button.
Sooo sorry about the pine beetle attack. My trees in Florida were suffering from them.
See you should be Letterboxing then the only batteries you need to charge are your own!!
Enjoy the time off, you work too much anyway.
Thanks, Jennifer. I often think about something you once said to me when giving me a smack down... something like "do you want "He was a good employee" written on your headstone?"
This moment of clarity is dedicated to you. :)
Post a Comment