When I unpacked the clothes I had not worn in Maine, I left out a set of running shorts, shirt and socks on top of my dresser as a reminder to go running the following day. They sat there until this morning. 9:30 sounded like a good time to go. I got dressed at 10:00. 10:30 came and went. Finally at 11:00 I hit the road and ran the 5k route from the house.
I felt great! My legs and lungs were a bit annoyed initially, but I have never felt such comfort on my feet! I felt as though I was floating along the road and could barely hear my feet hitting the ground. Hopefully such comfort will continue.
After the run, I had some coffee and a protein shake and decided to take the bike out for a quick ride before the rain came in.
Matt Souza Conservation Area, Hatchville (Click for link to map)
Matt Souza had a long history in the Town of Falmouth. According to the paperwork in the kiosk (pictured below) he was appointed as Game Warden in 1954 and became the town's first full time conservation agent in 1961. He held that job until 1984. This wonderful 25 acre conservation area is dedicated to his memory.
The Coonamessett River runs from Coonamessett Pond and connects to Great Pond on Vineyard Sound and is considered the town's "most important herring run", also according to The 300 Committee site.
It's been too long since I paddled on Coonamessett Pond. There is a neat little passage into Pickerel Pond to the west and across the expanse of Coonamessett to the east is another pond called Round Pond. You must paddle under a small bridge and through a water trap at the Cape Cod Country Club before getting into Round Pond which is rather fun.
It is on my short list to kayak here before November.
3 comments:
Great shots Barry! If you need a Kayak partner and its a thursday,sunday or monday morning I am game!
"My legs and lungs were a bit annoyed initially...." Loved that line. Glad you hadn't lost a step.
You have the greatest places to ride and that does look like a neat place to kayak with low speed limits.
You do know you live in paradize..
That Camden park is wonderful. We have stayed there on one of our trips to Maine.
They have a great bakery in town down near the water.
And a good micro brewery.
Post a Comment