Here is a link to a Boston area news report as well as with a short video.
Thank you, big box stores.
I am certain that I have both early and late blight, but late blight is the real killer here. My Mom used to talk a lot about early blight and I learned to recognize it long ago but it never really had much impact on the plant of fruit.
There was an article in our local paper yesterday about both of those diseases being in gardens and farms in our immediate area.
I also ripped up the remainder of the beans. The beans that were on them were nice size, but I believe the heat we have had of late made them really starchy and not very tasty.
I have determined that I cannot do both jobs and maintain the gardens to be productive and still have some time to enjoy other activities. With any luck I'll be able to cut back or eliminate the part time job within the next year or two.
Luckily, we do not rely on this produce to get through the winter. Some see gardening and growing your own food as a "simple life". I was one of them. I assure you, it is not. A simple life is what most of us already have, really. Most don't think about their food or where it comes from. Or even care. You just have to go to the store and get it. That is simple. There is no immediate concern about disease, bug infestations, weather or yield. True, on the grand scale the market is affected by these and other factors, but very rarely do we have to worry or think about it. Moan and groan when the price goes up a few cents, but that's about the extent of it.
4 comments:
Sorry to hear about your blight! I find it a bit ironic that this year my garden is one big weed pit (no exageration. ask Jen,) yet I have picked the best tomatoes that have somehow survived! Strange twist, eh ? I too need to get rid of my second job but not just yet!
I think I caught your funk- Damn Hatchville. I have some dead branches and yellow leaves but the fruit looks good.
What to do now??
I too am a weed pit. We also started very late this year and the only thing that is producing great is the lettuce. Probably due to the rain.
: (
the wet weather has been killer and I've had more than my share of the early blight, but knock on wood, none of the late blight yet.
Perhaps a better term than the simple life might be the deliberate life. Its quite simple to live on autopilot.
Post a Comment