Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Slacker!

I gave up on waiting for the drizzle and murk to go away, so this morning I decided to take a quick run on the bike path in North Falmouth before my haircut appointment. I've been a major slacker in the running department of late, and with my official entry into the Falmouth Road Race now posted on the Internets I have got to get off my a$$.

It was quite nice on the bike path today despite the weather. Hardly any people. I didn't drag my camera along, but always have my cell phone, so these shots were taken with it.

So, weeks of not running, eating camp food, and some tasty beer (the Saranac Summer ales are out!) have set me back a bit. As I was walking (yes, I walked) I was mulling over my training and preparations for the coming weeks. So far I have come up with the following:

- eat better and more regularly
- drink more water (I rarely have any)
- run more often and increase distance
- do not focus on time
- cross-train with bicycle and weights
- do a 5k race or two before the road race

All of these seem doable. I am hoping for some sunny warm or hot weather to train in as well, in case the weather turns brutally hot for race day in August.

Getting the focus back on me, myself and I....

5 comments:

Fooseberry said...

Me, Myself and I???
Who are those people??
Sounds like a do-able plan to me.

Brian said...

I think you have a great approach outlined. Stick with it and not only will you be well prepared for Falmouth, but you'll also be able to enjoy plenty of tasty beers between now and then. Cheers!

Barry said...

FB- the voices in my head... ;)

elvoy! Glad to hear from you! Thanks for the words.

Arkansas Patti said...

Sounds ambitious. Be careful what you wish for in the heat dept. We are strangling here. 107 the highest so far.

Barry said...

Patti-

UGH! We rarely see triple digits here. I can't imagine it on a frequent basis.