While wrapping things up this afternoon, I saw one of my all-time favorite bugs, Phantom Crane Fly, which I have not seen for many years. I wish I could have photographed it, but I could not. I ripped off an image from the Internet.
They seem to float through the air and when they fly into even the slightest of shadows, they almost disappear (thus the name 'phantom') and only the white segments are visible. It truly does seem to disappear, and I indeed lost track of it before I could capture it. This is only the second one I have seen, and a first for the Cape.
We also had a hummingbird moth flying around and seemingly confused by a red bucket.
3 comments:
I guess that is why I have never seen a Phantom bug. I will now watch for white "feet" flying around.
Thank you, thank you. As soon as I saw that nest I finally knew what was roosting at my house.A very distinctive nest. I have nesting pairs at each end of my house, under the porch. They are each on their second crop.
They really make a mess though around fledging time. I had to put pan of cat litter below the nests. No respect at all for the side of the house or the porch floor.
I figure that is why they make mops and buckets though.
Loved the Phantom. Never seen one but will look.
Patti- They are a bit sloppy. Most babies are I guess. :) It's been a treat having them around and so close.
Post a Comment