Friday, February 20, 2009

So Little Time

I am certain that somewhere in the blog's archive I can find a post or two in which I mentioned something about not having enough time in a given day to do the things I want to do.

I really miss hiking, or at least I think I do. It's been so long since I did anything of relative significance, that I honestly don't know how I would do or if I would enjoy it like I used to.

It's been months since I went Geocaching - October 16th 2008 to be exact - and there are many new ones locally that I want to do. Many = 100+, not to mention all the old ones I have yet to do.

Birding is a little different. True, I have not been out in weeks, but I saw nice year birds flying over the yard the other day (white-winged crossbill).

And then there's the gardening...

Since Fooseberry helped introduce running into my life, regardless of the level, I have decided that I enjoy it. I would rather the weather be a tad nicer before really getting back into, so I have been filling the void experimenting with exercises featured in the last couple of Runner's World. I have no real desire to go to a gym, so these simple home workouts are fine with me. If this keeps me from becoming a chunky couch potato (again), then that's all I can ask. The price is right, too.

Now I find myself wanting to dabble in cycling. Is this unrealistic??? *sigh* Does it make any sense for me, at 38+ years old, to be feeling like this? One of the guys I work with is 50. He is a half-marathoner and has just signed up for his first triathlon. True, he is a Coast Guard guy and is very fit, but his simple suggestion, kidding or not, that I needed to train with him gave me this funny little twinge in my gut to get on a bike.

And then there are the jobs... one of which I'd could really do without, but it is necessary now and I am happy to have one job, never mind two given the state of things.

It will be interesting to see how I manage my time in the coming months with the growing season fast approaching. I don't know how you folks with kids do it, and I don't want to find out.

2 comments:

Fooseberry said...

Bull crap!! Dump the second job and get a life. On your headstone do you want it to say- He was a good employee??
Work is the way you pay for your life so work 1 job and live the rest. You don't need the money but you do need a life.
Off my soapbox now. Now please copy and paste this to my blog as I need this lecture too.

Brian said...

If you have the desire, and the time to put into it, get a bike. I have a road bike (an early 1990s model) I inherited from family, but haven’t put many miles since my older son was born. I run more now because that’s something I can do with him that is safer. But riding is just awesome, especially the hills. Maybe you could ride a bike to work too (not sure how far that would be). I am kind of lazy though and haven’t had the desire to keep up on the bike maintenance. That and I can take my running shoes anywhere, while packing a bike and gear can be problematic.