After getting a few things done around the house this morning, I was able to get out for a much needed run. Mostly clear and about 36°F with a very light breeze. I was able to wear shorts, a wicking long-sleeved T and a cotton T over that. I did wear some light gloves to take the edge off of my hands. I decided to hit my 3.2 mile Couch To 5k training route with the stop watch activated.
The start of this run is easy and then there is a moderate hill to get the heart thumping in short order. Once I get through this little hill, I usually feel like I'm all set and will not need to walk. I do a lot of "talking" in my head while I run to try to keep me motivated and on pace. Today I did have to dig a bit deeper to keep from walking. True, I do believe there is no shame in walking, but me, myself and I were not accepting of that possibility this day.
Normally I just think about some folks that I know who have it worse than I do. The lady at such-and-such house trying to beat cancer, the guy at xyz house with Parkinson's, and, oh yeah, my other neighbor with Parkinson's. The guy whose daughter was killed in a car wreck, etc. I also try to use positive thoughts as well, but I find thinking of things that piss me off, such as disease, makes me run a little harder.
Today I was thinking about my Dad a lot. During the run it was mostly about what he must have gone through in WW II and the 40 odd years he had to live with the memories afterward. It must have been dreadful based on some of the documents and letters that I have found, though he never, ever discussed it, especially with his kids. This did the trick and I found my running almost effortless after that.
Closer to home, I found myself in a bit of a race with the mailman. He would stop at a mailbox, and I would pull ahead. Then he would pass me until the next mailbox. This went on for about half a mile until he had to take a small side street before making it to my house. 26 minutes and 32 seconds later I was home. Not my best pace, but pretty close to normal. I cooled down waiting for the mailman and when he arrived I said "What took you so long?" He chuckled, and handed me the mail. Mrs returned home for lunch and we spent a little time together.
I try not to use negative thoughts on the run, but do need them sometimes to keep me from quitting. There are so many folks that, through no fault of their own, cannot do a lot of the things I choose to do. So, to those who can, please, take your excuses, stifle them and DO IT!
:)
1 comment:
Well said.
Post a Comment