Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Carrots in January

I like to leave some of my carrot crop in the ground for at least part of the winter. I mulch them heavily, usually with straw and/or leaves. I also left them in the center of the raised bed to allow for a little more protection. I decided to harvest some today to have with my supper tonight. I was pleased to find some in edible condition and, so far, no rodent damage.

They are small, and with our somewhat rocky soil, a bit twisty. I pulled enough for tonight. I just ate one, and though a tad bitter, it was still quite tasty.


3 comments:

Brian said...

That is awesome, fresh vegetables from the snow covered yard!

Barry said...

They were fantastic steamed and with a tiny bit of butter.

The Forge Village Farmer said...

Oooh. Those look sooo good. I need to leave some in the ground this next summer.