Friday, December 12, 2008

Keyed Up

We were lucky here in southern New England. Not far north and west of here there has been a devastating ice storm which knocked out power to many and damaged countless trees. The rain this morning was heavy and cool, but it was tolerable. I'd rather not be dealing with an ice storm.

After working the kennel, I wet to town to the bank. I was very close by our local Chevy dealer, so I decided to go get a second key made for the truck. When I purchased this truck, it had only one key and one keyless remote. I've been wanting a spare since day one, but never got around to it.




The guy behind the service counter took my vehicle information and went to get a new, blank key. I handed him my (only) key so he could make the copy. He handed me the new key and instructed me to go try it in both the door and the ignition. The key worked fine in the door, but it would not function in the ignition. I returned to the counter, informed him of the outcome, and he went to work running it through the key grinder again. It sounded like quite a bit more was coming off of the key, so I supposed that was normal and assumed it would solve the problem. He handed me the key and said "Try it now". I looked at the key he had placed in my palm, looked at him, looked at the key, looked at him and said "this is the old key".

Service Guy : "What?"
Me: "This is my key."
Service Guy: "Well, go try it."

I went back to the truck and inserted MY key into the door lock. I may as well have stuck a Ford key in the door. I unlocked the door with the keyless remote and stuck the key in the ignition. Not even close. And this was the key that came with the truck. I could feel my left eye twitching...

I went back to the service desk, and informed him of our new dilemma. He sent me away again and I returned with my vehicle registration so they could cut new keys based on the VIN. So, I have two nice new shiny keys. I couldn't help but feel bad for the guy as it was such an obviously painful mistake for him. Both of my new keys work and I expect, over time, they will become a little easier to use. One is a bit "sticky" in the ignition, but it works nicely.

It was just one of those days, but things could be much, much worse.

1 comment:

Brian said...

We got the same one-key-per-car deal when we purchased our car too. That was more than four years ago, and, um, I've never quite gotten around to it either. Glad the dealer took care of you when you pointed out their mistake.