Saturday, September 27, 2008

One Month Away

So, here it is. One month out from my first 5k. The Mashpee Firefighter's (is that apostrophe in the right place?) Raw Bar Road Race. There are a few of us from work (mostly dispatchers!!) signed up as well as some family members.

The Couch to 5k program is going well, though I believe I over-extended myself this week. At the kennel I had a large order of dog food delivered (about 85 bags) on Thursday which all had to be carried up a flight of stairs. I was able to do 2 large bags or 4 small bags in one trip which meant I did not have to make 85 trips up and down. I angered my left ankle/foot/Achilles a little. Of course, I ignored this and went on with my day/night. No big whoop.

After work at the kennel on Friday, I was determined to jog/run the entire 5k route that I have been following on the program. So, I did my usual warm-up stuff and headed out. Normally I take a left out of my driveway and walk for the first 5 minutes, per the program (which is nice because it's uphill....). This time I took a right, walked for about two minutes, turned around and by the time I got back to the driveway I started running. Point being? To try and jog/run the entire 5k with no walking. From my driveway to a certain major intersection and back is 3.17 miles (measured with my hand held GPS unit). A little more than a true 5k.

We had been getting a lot of rain in the morning, but seemed to be in a break..... Until I was about 1/2 a mile into it. Then it got worse, and then it really started raining. Stupid ass me wore a heavy cotton short-sleeve shirt which became rather heavy and cold. Not a big deal, just not very comfie. I really was hoping it would rain, actually. I wanted to see what it was like to be out in bad weather in case the 5k happened to be held in crappy weather.

About 1/2 way through I started feeling the ankle. A lot. I had to walk. I was slightly pissed off and started running again. Walk. Then jogged/ran the rest of the way home. I usually sprint the last bit which I did, but I paid for it. At work that night it really became sore and I downed some ibuprofen which took the edge off and made my thumb injury (I don't recall how I did that!) feel better.

So, I have a couple days off from the program and will try again on Monday. I'm convinced this is just a minor setback and am not concerned about it. Once in shape, I hope to start extending my distances a bit. I know I'll never do a marathon, but I would like to give the Falmouth Road Race a try next year after doing a few 5k events. I'm not looking to win (as if!), just finish.

10 comments:

FFNick said...

I appreciate your perseverance. Some old Chief once told me - "Suck it up kid - pain is weakness leavin' the body."


Great. Thanks Chief.

Fooseberry said...

I will be there to throw water on you!!
Isn't that what my friends told me when I made that statement about the road race?

Barry said...

FB - you'll be running it again and unable to throw water on me....

FFN - Sounds like you should have smacked that chief. See how much "weakness" he felt.... ;)

Come on up and run/walk with us! Plenty of room for another FF. Later we can damage our livers!

Anonymous said...

You boys (FFN & BMG) haven't changed a bit! Still thinking of those brewskies?? More power to you for running especially on a hurt ankle. I bet FFN would take a cabiner clip or something from his uniform and make some brace and not even miss a beat! I wish I lived closer to watch the race. Will it be televised?
Pam

Barry said...

Gawd, Pam. I certainly hope there are no TV cameras! lol. :)

The ankle will be fine and I'll be hobbling, I mean jogging along fine in no time.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bar,
Have the Mrs. video record you & put it on your blog. Then I can feel like I'm there watching you and my children & I can yell @ the computer to cheer you on! You go!!
Pam

jeremy said...

How'd that Sham WOW t-shirt hold up?

I've got a month to get ready for that 5K.

Barry said...

Get on it, Jeremy. The liver damaging activities invitation are extended to you as well.

Update: Much better today. No ankle issues, but did have to walk about 30 seconds in the middle to catch a little wind. 26:09, which is best time yet for me and is about 8:15 pace. Not bad for an old fart, former smoker, lazy ass.

FFNick said...

Last thing you need is a fat guy dropping like a bag of dirt. Maybe next year, pal. Send pics!

Barry said...

Don't worry about that, we'll just kick you to the side of the road.... ;)