A dream come true for me! Finally, after 23 years, Farm Aid had come close enough to home for me to go. I joined the "Farm Yard" and was able to get pre-sale tickets. Not great seats, but good enough and dead center stage so the sound was perfect and incredible!
We arrived after the official start, but we were in no real hurry as we knew this would be a long, long night. So, when we did get there we did not go immediately to our seats, but checked out the many booths set up by area farmers, coops, schools and more: a farmers' market of sorts, but more of a contact for locals and lots of information.
Really, to me, it only makes sense to hold a Farm Aid here in Mass. In my opinion New England is the epitome and heart of family and local farming and we're losing it. Fighting, yes, and seem to be gaining some ground or some attention at least. I encourage those checking in to "eat your zip code", or as close to it as possible, as often as possible and we'll be trying harder to do the same. Not only that, but I think anyone who has even the smallest of lawn should plant some , if not most of it, to vegetable gardens. I call it "kitchen gardening", a term that I picked up from a couple different sources including Kitchen Gardeners. I'm hoping to plant more of a variety next year and try some new things. I have already planned three new raised beds in my head.
Please, give to FarmAid.org
Southeastern Massachusetts Agricultural Partnership. Thanks to Sarah Cogswell for her time and efforts.
Cape Abilities
The Farm School
The Show.....
We finally made our way to our seats just as Jakob Dylan (Bob's son) and The Gold Mountain Rebels went on stage. Fantastic and a good start to an evening of fabulous music.
I was then pleasantly surprised and honored to experience Jerry Lee Lewis. Old dude can still do it!
Following him and his band was The Pretenders. Really a cool performance and neat to see.
Next up was Kenny Chesney and a couple band members in an awesome, laid-back acoustic set after another year of touring. (Sadly they are not broadcasting his set on Direct TV 101.)
By far, one of the most impressive and powerful performances of the night was Dave Matthews with Tim Reynolds. Two men, two guitars and one amazing vocal performance. We both were blown away by this; goosebumps, the whole deal. We will be doing what we can to see Dave Matthews again.
The Big Three
For me, a bonus...... John Mellencamp. One of the founding three back in 1985. A bit of a tease for me for what only seemed to be a few of his songs. Great to hear two of his new songs off of the new album that I am already so familiar with. Last we saw John and his band was in Albany, NY on December 8, 2007 at which we had fan club seats which turned into no seats standing at the stage within feet of him. Anyway, It's always a sort of spiritual experience for me I guess.
Next up, Neil Young. What can I say. A legend and my first time experiencing a live performance. Amazing to be there and hear & see him and his band.
Rounding out the evening - we were freezing by this time! - was, of course, Willie Nelson. I've waited a long time to see/hear Willie and was not disappointed.
So, my ears took a beating. No doubt. But worth every minute.
2 comments:
I would have LOVED that....
Sounds like a blast and I love Willie Nelson, I seriously would love to get him and my Dad in the same room for a sit down.
Country Farm Boys...... Too Cool!
Awesome experience - glad you enjoyed it. Do they release a live album or anything?
Post a Comment